Logo

45hp mercury need help identifying what year and model? Number on plate on trim

Bmoneys

Member
Screenshot_20240919_165743_Gallery.jpg
 
Post a few more pictures of this motor.----Cowling , coils , carburetors , fuel pump on the engine included.
Ok I will i when I get time. I just have bought this engine and found out afterwards cylinder 3 has low compression around 80 and leaking. Weighing the options if I should rebuild it or not.
 
The one picture shows a label ----1980 50 HP -----So seller may have put a newer cowling on it.----Serial # also clearly makes it a 1980 50 HP.-----Will be hard to find a shop to rebuild it for you.----It would shock you what that would cost.----Your location?
 
I thought about trying to build it myself, I have never messed with boat motors. I'm not sure, if I could still get parts for it. I live in GA.
 
Motor needs to be torn down for inspection.-----Then evaluate condition.----Look for parts.----And before you ask , it cannot be a blown head gasket.----There is no cylinder head on this motor.----Only a water jacket cover.
 
Remove the 4 intake bypass covers on side of block.----Just 2 screws each I believe.-----Allows you to inspect for broken / stuck rings.----Allows you to look for scored ( damaged ) piston.
 
I simply look on the list that covers your serial number!!----I do not enter the serial number in the hope of finding an answer.----Good luck with learning about this motor.-----Easy fix here as I have good " donor motors " for parts.----Your location ?
 
Back
Top