Logo

45HP Mercury 4 cyl (80's) possible Stator problems?

Noelie84

Hello!
I just bought a 1966 Corson with an 80's vintage 45hp Mercury motor (OB205350, I think-it's pretty faded). It runs fine above 2000RPM (ish) but doesn't idle.
PO replaced the switchbox and plugs, also cleaned the carbs and replaced the fuel filters thinking it was a fuel delivery problem, but that didn't fix it so he threw a wrench through the drywall in his garage and put the boat, motor, and nice galvanized roller trailer on Craigslist for $350 where yours truly picked it up. Now it's my headache instead, lol. He says that he talked to the guys at the local marine repair shop and they said that it sounds like he has a bad stator and that he could buy one for $500. I found an aftermarket replacement online for $150, but before I spend 1/2 the price of my boat on it I thought I should ask some folks who know better than me.

I did some testing and it seems like I have high fire but no low fire. No response from my multimeter for ohm's on the Stator test (blue/white to blue, red/white to red), but maybe I'm doing it wrong (this is my first outboard). I have the black Stator, part #398-5454A26 (dated 0997) and it looks fine (no deformation, discoloring, etc) but long experience with tinkering on cars has taught me that appearance doesn't always matter much.

Has anybody on here run into this problem? And if so, how did you solve it?
Thanks in advance!

Back