Logo

454 Mercruiser EFI in my 67 C-10 Truck

boatsnstuff2

New member
Ok, I have a nice 454 L-29 motor that I rebuilt several years ago for my Pachanga but I ended up using a 350 FWC Magnum instead. So thinking about putting the 454 EFI motor in my 1967 C-10 Chevy truck, but I would like to use it just as it came in a boat except for the exhaust manifolds, I did some porting on the vortech heads and put a comp cam and kit in it. I guess the issue is that there are no O2 sensors and would that work ok on the street? I have another idea on the plumbing but before I get into that I first need to know if the fuel injection can be dialed in to work in this application.
 
It depends upon where you are at and the state laws governing the vehicle.

If that's not a concern there whould be no issue using the whole package...that said, you will likely have to fabricate some bracketry and be competent doing wire harness level work.
 
It depends upon where you are at and the state laws governing the vehicle.

If that's not a concern there whould be no issue using the whole package...that said, you will likely have to fabricate some bracketry and be competent doing wire harness level work.
Hi,
I live in NC and we do not have emissions here, especially for a 1967 truck. The wiring should be easy as the motor is already wired and I just need to go from the main harness plug to the dash. I do want to use everything mercruiser except for the exhaust, so it would have the marine look/ theme under the hood. If this is doable from the EFI side I will pose my next question and ideas for the cooling system.
 
a good amount will depend on the version of 454 you have...GM Marine and Mercruiser made a lot of changes in the mid-late 1990's when EFI was introduced. Assuming it was a stern drive engine, the starter should be fine. The plug wires will likely need to be rerouted. The fuel pump will need attention as well

Cooling should be straightforward...most likely, the t-stat and housing will need a change.
 
a good amount will depend on the version of 454 you have...GM Marine and Mercruiser made a lot of changes in the mid-late 1990's when EFI was introduced. Assuming it was a stern drive engine, the starter should be fine. The plug wires will likely need to be rerouted. The fuel pump will need attention as well

Cooling should be straightforward...most likely, the t-stat and housing will need a change.
The engine is a 1999 L-29 which has the Vortech heads. Yes it was a stern drive engine.
I want to use the engine exactly as it was in the boat because I want to do a nautical theme with the truck, including the fuel pump, thermostat housing etc. I know it may sound crazy but I would even like to put the radiator in the front of the bed or underneath and run hoses to the Mercruiser raw water pump on one side and the final dump from the risers could go to the other side of the radiator.
 
right off the bat, I don't see an easy way to make the marine exhaust manifold work...i think you will run out of room (front to back).

Sounds like a unique project...naver seen anything like that around here...
 
Back
Top