Logo

454 Engine differences

Floatation Device

Contributing Member
When looking for engine parts on line, I find various engine names for the 454. My install manual says 454 Blue Water, my survey says 7.4 L MIE, when I look on line can't find either but find 7.4 L MIE EFI,(which I don't have EFI), 454 Mag, etc. Does anybody know or do you know where I can find what the differences are with these engines? Helps me alot with finding the right part the first time.

When looking for engine parts on line, I find various engine names for the 454. My install manual says 454 Blue Water, my survey says 7.4 L MIE, when I look on line can't find either but find 7.4 L MIE EFI,(which I don't have EFI), 454 Mag, etc. Does anybody know or do you know where I can find what the differences are with these engines? Helps me alot with finding the right part the first time.
What is your engine serial number???

Floatation, you're killin' me here - It looks like what you've found with serial numbers is not useful. What serial number? If you stand on your head on the starboard side of the engine, look at the block casting just above where the starter bolts up, and you'll see the little riveted metal tag with the serial number everybody here is asking you for. They aren't going to send you to a dealer, unless you give them the idea that you don't know which end of the engine the gas goes in, and the exhaust comes out of. They are much more likely to give you links to sources of information specific to your power plant. Cough up that serial number, man! I'm interested in an answer to your question, too.

Hi, My 454 number is 095403, and I had a bad exhaust elbow and filled the motor with water. I had went home and came back 2 weeks later and dang water in oil. My pump wouldn`t pull it out so I started the motor to warm it up, wrong thing to do.
It started right up but broke a push rod, bent 2 valves. Got the heads fixed but now I think I have spun some bearings. So now i`m looking for the least expinsive way out. Used short block, pull mine and just fix the bearings, help?
Thanks

Back