Logo

40 TLRT oil pump problem

Bamahurin

Warning buzzer. Safe mode operation, I guess. It won’t speed up.

Unfortunately it got a little hot getting back to the dock. A little smoke but I don’t think I broke it. Is it an overheating problem or an oil pump problem? It was only running for a couple minutes when I got the buzzer. I thought it was low so I added oil. It didn’t help.

I removed the oil tank. The filter in the tank is clean. The oil is clean.

There is no safe mode operation when the buzzer is buzzing. The motor should be stopped immediately when the alarm sounds. Otherwise the motor is at risk of destroying itself.

Two things normally cause the alarm to sound. Over temperature and low oil. Both of which will be indicated on certain Yamaha tachometers.

If the motor was smoking my guess is that it was running hot.

To me it looks like the impeller cup got hot.----Cup has rotated ??-----So I think it would be wise to replace it all.-----More pictures would help here.

Do you know what size bolt will plug this hole? There’s an oil line that does into it. The fitting broke. I followed the line back and it doesn’t go to anything. At least it hasn’t been connected to anything in the two years I’ve owned it. The lower unit was full of oil. I want to plug the hole and fill the lower unit with lube.5B9A9C69-DA41-4576-930C-6EA41122A770.jpeg

I do not believe it is an oil line.----Maybe pour some thin oil into it and see if it comes out of a hole on front of the lower unit.-----Perhaps it has to do with a speedometer.

I do not believe it is an oil line.----Maybe pour some thin oil into it and see if it comes out of a hole on front of the lower unit.-----Perhaps it has to do with a speedometei

Bet you’re right about speedometer. I don’t have one. My concern is water going where it shouldn’t because the hole isn’t plugged. Pour oil in and if it doesn’t drain from the lower unit, no worries? Leave it, or still try to plug it?

That hole is for a fitting that connects the pitot tube on the leading edge of the lower unit to plumbing for a speedometer.

Leave the hole open or plug it as you wish. You can get a metric thread gage and use it to determine the size and pitch of a bolt that you may choose to plug it with.

That hole is for a fitting that connects the pitot tube on the leading edge of the lower unit to plumbing for a speedometer.

Leave the hole open or plug it as you wish. You can get a metric thread gage and use it to determine the size and pitch of a bolt that you may choose to plug it with.

Filled the lower unit and got this. Should I be concerned?A1A0C558-768D-4558-8010-110F1473EF21.jpeg

Back