Logo

40 hp big twin early 1960:s convert to tiller alternatively whick controls fit

calle

Hi does anyone know if its possible / what it would take to convert a 40 hp evinrude from the early 60:s from controls to tiller? Did Evinrude supply kits for that or would it be all custom made? Can it be done by taking a tiller+parts from a tiller equipped motor if so which hp-ratings might be the same?

Alternatively does anyone knows which models of controls would fit this motor that is up until which model year of controls.

thanks

Last edited:
Do you have pics of the throttle cable side? You may need the lower engine cover depending on your model number it can be done with the right parts. You can also put a start and kill button on the lowercover or do you plan on pull start?

Correction the early 60s 40hp only had the two piece lower cowl. If yours has the throttle lever on the front lower it is a simple conversion if not its major surgery.

Thanks!

would you know anything about controls compability? Since those are not part of blown diagrams its hard to find information.

Controls with the big red plug used till 1995 can be adapted to work on the early 40 HP models.-----Electric shift ( RK models ) is a different story.

Last edited:
Correction the early 60s 40hp only had the two piece lower cowl. If yours has the throttle lever on the front lower it is a simple conversion if not its major surgery.

By simple conversion - would I be able to do it using scrapped parts only or do I need some kit? Also I wonder if it would be possible using tillers from newer motors...

Do you have the wire harnesses and j box for the start solenoid? Do you have the steering system? What are you trying to accomplish? What size boat are you pitting it on? Do you have pics?

Do you have the wire harnesses and j box for the start solenoid? Do you have the steering system? What are you trying to accomplish? What size boat are you pitting it on? Do you have pics?

I got the motor today. Its a big twin model 40502M so its a 1965. I understand theese motors came with different specs (I have seen names as "Lark" etc). It has serial no B4167, I dont know how to get any info from that (not that I need anything specific). Its doesnt have a starter motor fitted so I guess mine is one of the simpler models. I didnt bring my compression tester but that wasnt needed - jeeez that beast was some work turning over - anyome know the stroke volume of theese? More work to crank than my Evinrude 20 (derated 25) which I believe is 521 cc. Im gonna have to build a custom trestle for this one. I know retrofitting electrical starter is possible for many motors but have not investigated that for this one.

The seller said he had run it for a few years ago but it ran "poorly". So first item is to get it running. If that happens I plan to mount it on a Selco sportboat which means controls. When I got it I realized it might be a size to big for my other open boat which is tiller controlled today. So I guess i was a bit hasty throwing out that tiller conversion question out here - sorry about that but thanks for the help. Im not ruling it out completely before I have seen how it fits my sport boat.

When it comes to controls - since it doesnt have a starter I cant think of any electrical wiring that has to go to the controls which I guess opens up for custom controls. The only thing would be the kill switch but I think I can live without that on the controls - anyone has other input?

Both shift and gas levers intended for controls was external and it should be possible to fit custom controls to those if I cant get hold of OMC that fits (which would mean paying for electrical wiring I dont need). I paste some images of the gas controls.

IMG_8997.jpgIMG_8994.jpg

I have a 1969 big twin with everything you need to make it electric start all you need is an ignition switch and steering system. The controls have 10 ft cables if interested. I tried selling it on craigslist it needs a good home. I can scrap it out for the right price it has the long shaft also how tall is your transom?

I have a 1969 big twin with everything you need to make it electric start all you need is an ignition switch and steering system. The controls have 10 ft cables if interested. I tried selling it on craigslist it needs a good home. I can scrap it out for the right price it has the long shaft also how tall is your transom?

Thats very kind of you! 10 ft is the right length. However I live in Sweden so Im guessing it would cost me a fortune to get it here :( Ill have to investigate shipment cost...

If you can find a parts motor the tiller is plug and play but 40hp is too much for that boat IMO they are quite heavy. A good 15-20hp will get you around just fine. What does the label on the boat say for max hp?

My mistake i thought you said a 10 ft boat. If you can find a parts motor with the tiller handle would be the best bet. As far as electric start all you need is battery cables to inside the motor you can mount the solenoid and wire it all internally with a start button. You would want to get the safety switch so it dont start at high speed in gear. With a good running motor yes they are a bitch to pull start cold but once warmed up it takes half a pull if you use a stop button.

I did find the part number for the tiller kit #0377949 there is a pic of everything you need here you may be able to do it piece meal as the kit is nowhere to be found.

My mistake i thought you said a 10 ft boat. If you can find a parts motor with the tiller handle would be the best bet. As far as electric start all you need is battery cables to inside the motor you can mount the solenoid and wire it all internally with a start button. You would want to get the safety switch so it dont start at high speed in gear. With a good running motor yes they are a bitch to pull start cold but once warmed up it takes half a pull if you use a stop button.

Thanks for the advice! Getting a new startermotor here in Sweden (if I find one that fits) would upwards over 100 USD. We will se what happens, how/if it runs/starts first. I took of the floathousing today, the pin that shuts the gas flow when float floats up was jammed shut (I got it free) and around the outlet (see image) there was black, dried powder-like dirt. I dont know if there was ever a gasket there, there was nothing left of it anyway.
It gets fuel to the carb next step is to check the sparks. Notied that the gas linkage just beneath the magnapull touches the cover under the magnupull so I gotta lift off the magnaoull aswell to be able to tighten the screws. Anything to consider there?

Noticed a lifting eye (?) conviniently placed at the back of the magnapull bracket, maybe it was meant also for anchoring the motor when cranking it on land? It will come in handy

float.jpg

The older models had a compression release on the head for the pull starter made itabit easier to yank on the rope. Look for a late 60s 33-40hp with the electric start. I cannot stress enough to put the dtart safety switch if you mount the electric start that engine will toss you off the boat if you make a mistake. It works off the spark advance you can start in gear but only at slow speed.

Controls with the big red plug used till 1995 can be adapted to work on the early 40 HP models.-----Electric shift ( RK models ) is a different story.
If I go only for throttle and shift control - no electrics - wouldnt one be able to make this work? Or would the the big twin need larger stroke and the gear linkage than this can provide?
omc control.jpg

Sure it will work. OMC, Johnson & Evinrude motors have pretty much standardized their shift & throttle travel and direction. But obviously it has (electric) stuff that you won't be using with a hand-start motor.

Back