Logo

40 horse 1969 johnson does not pump water

gvb

I have a 1969 40 hp Johnson, elec. shift, generator, elec start. I installed a new water pump impeller, and it will not pump water. I took the
thersmoat out and it pumps a lot of water, installed a new thersmoat and it will not pump. Any suggestions as to what is going on and how to correct??
Thanks GVB

Does the motor run too hot with the thermostat in ?---Or are you expecting water to pour out with the exhaust relief on start-up ??

thanks for your reply, I took the impeller out to check it and make sure that it was O.K., it is. Before I did the impeller check I had the engine up and running some water was coming out
but I didn't feel it was enough. How much water should be coming out??
Thanks for helping out, need all the help I can get.

Hi,
I started up the engine with the therm. in and let it run for a long time, could not hold my finger on the head. Very little drops of water was coming out of the ex. relief. Is this normal
or what should I do next.
Thanks GVB

Is there a " hot light "--------If there is you might want to test it.--------Only a bit of water spits out the exhaust relief at idle.-------On those 40 hp motors you would see a lot of water coming out the exhaust relief if you were on water skies.---------Then when you slow down the hot water would still pour out.---When motor cools it would go back to spitting out with the exhaust relief.

Had one of these on a 13 Ft. whaler...had the same concerns...as Racerone said, not a lot of water out the exhaust relief at idle. At full speed I would look over the transom and could see the water pouring out. Great motors!

NO this is not a salt water motor. NO white crude in ther. housing or head. Running motor in water with salt added, would this clean out the water ways??
Thanks for the info.

Hi, I pulled the thermostat cover and started the engine, nothing came out, pulled the head and it looks good could not fine anything wrong with the head. With thermostat cover off
I could not hold my finger on the head. I'm beginning to believe I have something plugged, the copper tubes were open when I pulled the impeller. What should I check next?
Thanks for the help. GVB

This motor has 2 copper pipes going into the water pump...I don't remember why but Im sure someone else can explain it.

Back