Logo

360 trans fluid location

dbrahms

Contributing Member
"i've done everything to m

"i've done everything to my 360s but have not touched my transmissions in a loooong time (Borg Warners). Can someone tell me where to check and fill with fluid?

Thanks,
Dan"

"Wow! I'd figure it shoul

"Wow! I'd figure it should be checked before every trip out. I have a service manual that I could email to you. 5 Mb, too big to attach to this forum.

,Noel."

"Oohhh! Boy are you asking fo

"Oohhh! Boy are you asking for trouble.

The dip stick is at the lower left side of the tranny. You unscrew it THEN pull it out (and visa-versa. Be sure it's in good or it could fall out on you--not good!)

The level should be about 1/2 inch ABOVE the "Full" mark cold, and right on "Full" if the motor is warmed up thoroughly AND has JUST been shut down.

Carefully, for there's only 2 quarts of fluid in there--a truck tranny takes 10 to 13 quarts! Running only a cup low can cause slippage and damage.

Jeff"

"<center><table border=1><tr><

"<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_pdf.gif""" align=left alt=""application/pdf"">Oil Maintenance for Velvet Drive
[url=""][b]Velvet Drive Oil Maintenance.pdf[/b][/url] (65.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Dan, these 2 pages have some info that may help.

,Noel."

what kind of oil should I use

what kind of oil should I use to top off the trans? the stuff I saw one time pouring out of the coolers was red so i would think trans fluid (ATF) but I'm probably wrong. Please let me know.

Dan

Back