Logo

318 Weight

"Thanks Jeff,
Im thinking of

"Thanks Jeff,
Im thinking of pulling mine and repowering with diesel and want to try nd not get carried away with weight. You wouldnt happen to have a good reccomendation on replacement power would ya?"

"Yeah: a S B CHevy! THe cost a

"Yeah: a S B CHevy! THe cost and complexity of a diesel instead of that 318 will tgake away any benefits you think you'll gain. For one thing, the present prop will be totally wrong for the low speed power, as may be the diameter of the props shaft. Then there's a return fuel line to the tank to consider, and noise--lots of noise!

Jeff"

"Thanks Jeff. Im not gunna pul

"Thanks Jeff. Im not gunna pull the 318's just to put SB Chevys. I was mainly looking for more cruising range, and to save a little on fuel. Darn gas here is $3.60 a gal and diesel is $2.40 a gal. I didnt think much about the noise cause most of my friends boats are diesel and they dont seem very loud but Ill have to pay more attention."

"Rodney, I looked at changing

"Rodney, I looked at changing my 318's over to a pair of light weight Yanmars, they come with the tranny's already mounted, plus a jig for the motor mount placement, you can use your original shafts, not sure about the props..the cost..not a lot of change from $40,000...can buy a lot of gas for that."

"Peter,
I saw a Luhrs that so

"Peter,
I saw a Luhrs that someone put the Yanmar 4 something in and he said they paid 90k for the re-power and he kept same shafts as well. Those Yanmars seem hard to come by now days. I found some Cummins 4bta's. I can get em in 200 or 250hp and get both with the ZF tranny that has some sort of built in v-drive and I can get em for under $25k. I rekon I can do the whole deal for near $25k or close to which might make it worth it. I understand the amount of gas to make up for it would be a whole lot of fuel, but the amount of money I will save when I do go fishing, the amount of piece of mind I will have from safety stand point. Plus resale value later I just cant help but keep crunching numbers and think it may be worth it. I need to figure what my 318's, trannys, and v-drive are worth as well. They all work and the boat runs great just seem to be in play mode this winter..
So Confusing......"

"I totally agree that you can

"I totally agree that you can buy a lot of gas with that amount.
$40k = 11,111 gallons or 55.5 fill ups
$25k = 6944 gallons or 34.75 fill ups
I guess question is how many more times will I fill the boat up. 5-10 times a year?
Then why do so many people do re-powers?
My reasons are this:
safety
milage - 12gal/hr compared to 30 gal/hr
and daily usage expense.
expense - Sucks when you decide to go for a few day fishing trip and you say ok it will take $1200 in just gas for this trip, instead of saying well hell with diesel it will only run me $600 in fuel for this trip. Easier to have the $600 around then the $1200 for 2 or 3 days of fishing.
Maintence
room - can put more things in my engine room like electrical stuff"

I have a friend who has 5 char

I have a friend who has 5 charter fishing boats on Lake Michigan. All 10 engines are gas. He said he would never use diesel engines because he trolls all day and the fumes are too much for the customers and crew.

A lot cheaper to sell your boa

A lot cheaper to sell your boat and get a boat with diesel engines. Most everyone I know spent $50 to $60K to repower there boats.

Back