Logo

318 oil level

Trojanman

Regular Contributor
[h=3]Oil level[/h]I drained the oil from the oil pan via the drain plug that unscrews from the bottom/side of the pan (twin LM 318's) It was a slow process but in the end I only got 3 quarts out and there was nothing on the dipstick when reinserted. I have external dipsticks and they basically go down to the bottom of the pan?? I always though that the dipstick needed to go into the top of the pan for an accurate measurement? Last year when I used my oil extractor I only got 3 quarts out as well and when I added 3 the dipstick read full?? I have a 6 quart pan (no step). Any thoughts would be appreciated .
icon_question.gif

Sounds to me like your dipstick is not callibrated correctly or someone cheated you out of half an oil pan!:rolleyes:

I assume there's 3 quarts of dirty oil trapped in there every oil change. If so, the NEW oil should look ugly after a few minutes running. Is that the case?

Jeff

I assume there's 3 quarts of dirty oil trapped in there every oil change. If so, the NEW oil should look ugly after a few minutes running. Is that the case?

Jeff

Jeff, I've always replaced what I got out of it, which for the last three seasons I've only gotten three quarts out every oil change? Once in the spring and in June. But every spring it's looked clean when drained? This is the first year I've used the drain plug located in the lower rear of the pan, every other year I've used an oil extractor, same thing, three quarts at a time.

But does the oil STAY clean after you start it up (after the oil change)? THat's the clincher.

Jeff

Ya! It stays clean all summer. I would change it once in the spring, getting 3 quarts out then again in June getting 3 quarts out and always clean?? :confused:

Weird! No way that motor should be running on only 3 quarts--half of what one would expect--but apparently your getting all the oil out.

I'd seriously consider adding another quart or two.

Jeff

v-drive setups lean forward, 3 quarts always in the back(flywheel side)of the pan

I had to do the ol' "change it out till it looks clean method"

you probably change it a bunch is why it looks clean

It cost a lil more!!

aawww! come on Rick, I expected a bunch of pictures and stuff !!!!!!! :cool:
I just now saw your thread.

With only 3 quarts of oil in your oil pan, I think that you've been dodging a bullet for quite some time now.
If these are 5 quart oil pans, you've been running 2 quarts low.

See your OEM service manual.
Add the correct quantity of oil, and re-mark your dip sticks.

As for pictures.... I'm coming up short this morning.... this will have to do. :D

Attachments

• Obama dip stick.jpg
    Obama dip stick.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I use a suction type tube that I can put either down the dipstick tube or thru a plug in the side of the oil pan. I need to move it around a lot to get all the oil out. Maybe you could try one to find the "missing" quarts. I use 5-6 qts, straight inboard.

I do have a PELLA extractor but it takes an hour of pumping that stupid handle to keep the thing going! finally I decided to put a black yard bag under the pan and remove the plug. But even with the extractor I only could get three quarts out. I thought it was the extractor not getting everything out, but even with removing the plug I still got three quarts?? I put 5 quarts in and it's fine. Like Rick said, I've been dodging the bullet for years.

I do have a PELLA extractor but it takes an hour of pumping that stupid handle to keep the thing going! finally I decided to put a black yard bag under the pan and remove the plug. But even with the extractor I only could get three quarts out. I thought it was the extractor not getting everything out, but even with removing the plug I still got three quarts?? I put 5 quarts in and it's fine. Like Rick said, I've been dodging the bullet for years.

If you put 3 quarts in, you only get 3 quarts out.

-JJ

Back