Logo

30hp 4-stroke efi mercury outboard (help)

Johnnie W.

A couple of days ago I bought a used 2010 Bass Tracker with a 30HP 4-Stroke EFI Mercury (3 cylinder). I've taken it out twice without a problem. The former owner told me it had about 30 hours on it. Yesterday, after cleaning, I decided to check the oil level. When I pulled the dipstick out, oil came out of the engine and all over the garage and inside the engine case. I hooked the boat up and proceeded to a nearby jet ski shop. The mechanic there told me it had a "Dry Sump" and must be warmed up a few minutes before you can check the oil level (I had no clue). Though the dipstick was re-inserted, the oil still seem to be leaking from it. Once I got home and added about as much oil as I figured I'd lost, I hooked up the aqua ears and started the motor. I ran it for about 5-10 minutes, shut it down and removed the dipstick. The oil was still at the top edge of the dipstick hole. I ran the motor several times for about 5 minutes and again checked the dipstick. The oil was still at the top of the hole. The next time I repeated the process the engine light came on and the alarm sounded. After several attempts, same thing, then I noticed that the motor was NOT "pissing". One or two more tries resulted in the same results (engine light on, alarm sounds and motor not pissing). Now, I'm not sure what to do. Could this be the impeller? Did the previous owner lie to me about only 30 hours on the motor? Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to resolve my issue. Thanking you in advance. Johnnie

Thanks johnnygjr,

I don't know enough to pull off the lower unit or check the water pump. Do you know if the water pump is not working, will it cause the oil to flow over from the dipstick? If this is a dry sump, do I have to suck the oil out with a vacuum to change it? Did I do something wrong, just checking the oil, to cause it to flow over? Is the water pump the impeller? Thanks.
Johnnie

Back