Logo

3-4 seconds is all I get

Quince

1964 Evinrude 9.5HP 9422S motor. Was running before sitting in my basement for the last 9-10 years. Tried to start in a barrel, runs 3-4 sec and dies. Ordered carb kit, carburetor soaked in acetone for 3 hours, air compressor blow. Couldn't replace the needle seat (the one in the kit has a bad thread) so I kept the old needle and seat since they looked good. New float, gasket, .... Tried to start, same 3-4 seconds. I cleaned the spark plugs, tried idle needle setting from 1/2 backup all the way to 2 1/2...same 3-4 seconds. Starts, revs-up and dies. Tried with cover on initially, cover off after I read that running in the barrel may deprive motor of oxygen from the exhaust. Any help pointing to the right solution will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would say the high speed jet in the carburetor bowl is plugged.----And does spark jump a gap of at least 1/4" ( 6 mm ) on a test device ?

Didn't even know a jet is in front of the drain plug. I took the plug out and cleaned the ball with acetone, saw it come out through the drain but did not look inside since I only had the upper half of the carb out. I'll take a look tomorrow; hope the jet is still in; I see prices over $60 for it. Unusual location also. Sure 9422S engine has it?

Is this jet threaded in or just a sliding fit? do I need a screwdriver to take it out? I am trying to do something about it without taking off the lower carburetor half.

Thank you. I took the drain plug out and forced air through. Works now. I still have two issues (so far) to solve: one I assume are the seals in the lower unit since I see oil in the barrel, and second, I noticed the intermediate plastic pin in between the cam and acceleration arm is worn down considerably on the cam side. Any advice on the kit for lower unit? I am really unhappy with the kit I got for the carb, so I assume that there are bad apples making lower unit kit also. On the worn out plastic pin, did anybody fixed it by sliding over a peace of tubing? I am surprised it was not designed with a rotating sleeve over a pin. I know they didn't want the cam to wear out. Using grease won't do much neither for the plastic used in 1960's that I assume is nylon. Thank you again for all the help.

Ran in a barrel. Waiting for the lower unit-gear kit to replace water impeller and shaft seals, noticed water coming out of this hole straight above the propeller. Drained oil and first I got clean water before milky oil started to come out. Is this hole there in purpose or was just a casting defect? Hmmm, can't figure out how to attach pictures. The hole is straight above the propeller in the flat horizontal area, almost central; you have to look from the bottom up to see it. Any explanation? Than you!

Back