Logo

290 Duo prop, shift cable touching Bellows

Well this a progression from my double bearing box posts,
while installing the leg with new ujoints bellows I noticed the shift cable pressing on the ujoints bellows, my steering wheel is on the left hand side so everything is on the left. looking from the back of the boat to the front the shift cable is crossing over and coming out the right hand side of the leg, that is how it was when I pulled it apart. I swapped it over so the cable comes out the left side and it still touches but nowhere as bad. Is there any reason it should cross over and does anyone see any prob with it touching the bellows , also should I use anything to seal the bellows or leave them dry, I do want to be able check for moisture in there during the season. (Bad idea?)
thanks Kilwinning.

Cable position really can't be adjusted/moved. It might lay across the bellows with the drive up, but I don't believe it would when the leg is down. It's not a concern. I don't think you are supposed to goop up the bellows. I did it once. I remember it being a bad idea.

Had to look twice that was a quick reply, thanks, the leg is down and it does touch but I'll double check that's all it is doing, I used merc bellows adhesive on the fly wheel end it sets up so fast you wonder if your getting the bellows on prop. Not using it on the other end, I've got the transmission end cleaned up pretty good so it should seal. Any ideas on which side if any the shift cable is supposed to come out ( I wouldn't think it should crossover) Thanks again.

It would help if you would use Port side and Starboard side terminology.

Short answer is...... NO, the shift cable (once it enters the shift cable sheathe and exits the transom shield) should not be crossing over to make the connection at the Intermediate housing's starboard side.
In other words...... the cable exits the transom shield on the Port side, and should also connect to the Port side of the Intermediate housing and eventually the Port side of the gear yoke.

Attachments

• Shift cable connections DP-A  3 .jpg
    Shift cable connections DP-A 3 .jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 337
Volvo drive shaft bellows have a molded in "o ring" like protrusion on the inner surface that fits into a groove in the drive ( and flywheel end). No adhesive necessary. Make sure these grooves (and bellows inner clamping area) are CLEAN. Take care installing clamps in the correct location and with the "screw locks" in the correct orientation... See OEM manual for diagram. Bellows can be removed several times and reused if necessary.

Ditto to what Bob said.
Also, use only the OEM Euro style worm drive band clamps...... Do Not use the conventional band clamps!

Thanks Ricardo and Bob, your right about port and starboard would have made things simpler, the previous owner had it crossing over, it does line up better the way you described it, I have the worm drive band clamps and no adhesive on the bellows, I have the manual for the band configuration and the clamping area is clean. I'm slowly getting closer to putting this thing in water. Thanks again

Thanks Ricardo and Bob, your right about port and starboard would have made things simpler, the previous owner had it crossing over, it does line up better the way you described it, I have the worm drive band clamps and no adhesive on the bellows, I have the manual for the band configuration and the clamping area is clean. I'm slowly getting closer to putting this thing in water. Thanks again

FYI.... both the standard and Euro band clamps are worm screw drive.

The Euro style clamp band is NOT cut for the worm screw. Instead, the worm screw pulls on raised areas that run down the band.
These clamps are less likely to grab and pull on the material as the band is being tightened. You'll get a more even clamp with this style.

The standard clamp band is cut out for the worm screw.
These cuts can and will grab and pull on the material as the band is being tightened.

Attachments

• Euro style band clamps vs std.jpg
    Euro style band clamps vs std.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 33
Back