Logo

290 DP Upper Gear Box

otnot

First of all thanks to Riccardo for all the information and time spent giving it. I removed my leg to replace the gimbal bearing and to replace the u-joints. Gimbal bearing was a snap thanks to Riccardo. I removed the four allen head bolts that hold in bearing case and removed the shaft and CV joint no problem. My question is this: When I rotate the bearings it seems rather rough. I know it is supposed to have some built in resistance but it seems like you can feel each bearing turning. I can't press out the pinion gear so I can't see the bearings. Is this normal?

Thanks

First of all thanks to Riccardo for all the information and time spent giving it.
You are very welcome.

I removed my leg to replace the gimbal bearing and to replace the u-joints. Gimbal bearing was a snap thanks to Riccardo.
Your 290 stern drive is of main suspension fork and pivot tube geometry. There is no gimbal system as with Merc or the later Volvo Penta.
What you replaced would have been the PDS bearings. (primary drive shaft)

Red flywheel cover = double bearing PDS....... 6206 and 6007 bearings and must be pre-filled.
Engine must be removed.

Charcoal gray flywheel cover = single bearing PDS...... 6206-2RS sealed bearing.
No engine removal required.

I removed the four allen head bolts that hold in bearing case and removed the shaft and CV joint no problem.
You possible have a 290A transmission, of which typically allows these four cap screws to be removed without issue.

My question is this: When I rotate the bearings it seems rather rough. I know it is supposed to have some built in resistance but it seems like you can feel each bearing turning.
This would be the two Main Drive Gear bearings..... correct?
If so, they will be a 30207 and 31307 industry standard bearings.....
NO Chinese bearings!!!!!

I can't press out the pinion gear so I can't see the bearings. Is this normal?

There is no pinion gear (as in ring & pinion). What you have is a main drive gear and two driven gears.

With the universal drive shaft's male yoke removed from the main drive gear, you will be able to press the gear from the bearing box.
Once removed, you will be able to see all but one inner race (the AFT-most 31307 inner race).

To remove the 31307 inner race, the roller cage must be cut and destroyed.
Once the cage is removed, the race can be pulled from the gear.

NOTE: often the the hydraulic press "fixture" will tend to slip from the race, and may require a weld bead in two locations (180* apart).
Make dang sure that the gear teeth are protected during the welding!
The race must be removed quickly before the cooling shrinks it.

Once you have done this, reassembly is pretty straight forward.

Next..... decide if you have a 290 or 290A transmission. The bearings are the same for either, however, the procedure is different.

See your OEM work shop manual for the bearing rolling torque value and the rolling torque procedure.
No Clymers..... and no Seloc..... OEM only!

These bearings are very precisionally manufactured.
While you will need to adjust the rolling torque value (for the new bearings), you may get lucky and not need to adjust the gear pattern...... but you will certainly want to check it with Prussian Blue gear pattern die.

prussian blue.jpg

prussian blue 2 .jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ricardo
I removed the four allen head bolts that hold in bearing case and removed the shaft and CV joint no problem.
You possible have a 290A transmission, of which typically allows these four cap screws to be removed without issue.

How do you tell the difference between the 290A and 290 transmission? The tag on the outdrive reads: DP-D1 3868022 1:78 ratio.

his would be the two Main Drive Gear bearings..... correct?
NO Chinese bearings!!!!!

Main drive bearings is correct. Upon further inspection(reading glasses on) there is slight chipping on the edges of the gear so it will have to be replaced. The replacement cost for that one gear 853917 is $1100 so it might be cheaper to buy a reconditioned gear box. Another reason to find out what transmission it is. It's better to find these problems before it breaks down out in the wilds of Alaska. God I hate Chinese bearings and up here it's impossible to find anything else. I have to order them online and wait a week for parts.

Thanks Again

Thanks Ricardo

How do you tell the difference between the 290A and 290 transmission?
The 290A will use a 1 pc all aluminum bearing box and gasket style shims between the bearing box and main gear case.
The clamping bolt threads on these will be dry.

The 290 will use the separate clamping collar and an all-steel bearing box.
These clamping collar bolt threads are in a wet area.

The tag on the outdrive reads: DP-D1 3868022 1:78 ratio.
The 1.78:1 is for a Big Block engine.

This would be the two Main Drive Gear bearings..... correct?
NO Chinese bearings!!!!!

Main drive bearings is correct. Upon further inspection(reading glasses on) there is slight chipping on the edges of the gear so it will have to be replaced. The replacement cost for that one gear 853917 is $1100 so it might be cheaper to buy a reconditioned gear box.
These gears are cut and are available in a set of 3 only. In other words...... you cannot buy a main drive gear alone, nor would replacing one gear only work.

Last edited:
Jim, it can be rather confusing. Let me help you understand.

I guess I'm confused! I thought the gear ratio was determined by the lower unit.
Yes..... with exception to the E drive, a change in reduction occurs within the lower gear unit.

A complete stern drive (that was sent from the factory) will have the final reduction listed in the transmission's PZNR #.
This does not necessarily mean that years later the reduction listed is still accurate. A previous owner may have changed things!

I have another upper gear box that is a 1:95, would that work?
NO!
Again..... the listing on the transmission is only accurate if it is still with the lower unit that it was equipped with from the factory.
Plus...... (and again with the exception to the E drive) all of these AQ series transmissions offer the same reduction.
The lower gear unit further reduces the reduction.
In other words, a 1.78:1 lower gear unit will not offer 1.78 turns of the vertical shaft to equal 1 turn of the prop shaft.
The transmission's reduction must be added into the mix.

Bottom line..... if you want to change from the 1.78:1 to a 1.95:1, you will need to pick up another lower gear unit.
When installing the 1.95:1 lower unit, it is imperative that the A and B dimensions be taken and used while adjusting the shim pack.

Here's the further deal:
The 1.95:1 is correct for the Small Block engines. (lower reduction)
The 1.78:1 is correct for the more torque producing Big Block engines. (taller reduction)
The 1.95:1 gear set is not as stout as is the 1.78:1 gear set. This is due to the smaller diameter of the "drive" gear.
Not too many small block engines can handle the 1.78:1 lower gear unit.
However, the SBC Stroker engine (6.2L or 6.3L) can use the 1.78:1

I hope that helped.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
Jim, it can be rather confusing. Let me help you understand.

Thanks. I now have all the information I need to either fix or replace the gear box. Unfortunately I am running out of time. My best friend of 50 years has been fighting brain cancer and wants to go on his final boat trip. He spent his entire life up here in Alaska commercial fishing and come hell or high water I'm taking him. I found a direct replacement on ebay but it may have issues as well but I'm going to order it so that maybe I can combine parts and make this last trip. It's getting late in the fall but what the hell a little snow would just make things prettier. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thank you for giving me a fighting chance of pulling this off.

Jim

Back