Logo

280A Transmission to Intermediate Shimming

Muddy Rudder

I have been learning to re-shim a Volvo Penta 280 transmission and finally have it done two months and fifty trips to the parts counter later. I am ready to install it onto the intermediate housing but I have a shimming issue. I over shimmed and installed the transmission onto the Intermediate housing in order to get a distance between the two cases and calculate the 0.004" of bearing crush the manual calls for. I am the king of freakish things happening to people. I calculated the distance and need the 0.05mm shim listed with all the other shims on the parts list to achieve at least 0.003" of crush. Well I drove 45 minutes to get the shims only to find out when I got home that they are a different diameter than all the other shims listed for the application and won't work. I contacted the Volvo Penta dealer I purchased the shims from and he confirmed the 0.05mm shim was a different diameter than the 0.10mm. 0.20mm and 0.40mm shims it was listed with. I need to wait at least a week before they will have an answer from Volvo Penta on the discrepancy.

If there is not a 0.05mm shim available that leaves me with choosing between a pre-torqued gap of under 0.002" of an inch or 0.006"+ of an inch. I surely don't want to spin a bearing due to insufficient bearing crush but having 6+ thousandths seems like alot since the manual calls for 0.004" max crush. Any advice on which way to go if there is no small shim available ?

Have no clue why the thinnest shim listed for this application is a smaller diameter. Be nice if Volvo Penta has the right shim. Somewhere.

Thanks

I'd take it apart and clean the bearing, the surfaces in the housings that they touch and the measuring point between the housings with a good solvent and inspect the housing surfaces for any burrs and redo the measurement process. You may get a different outcome. Also carefully check the zero on your calipers. One last thing, check the gap at 3 location roughly 120 degrees apart and if not the same, use the average gap.

Back