Ricardo,
I originally posted this problem on the Bayliner forum and tonight I saw you had left a message, sorry to get back to you late. I read your post on BOC about there being only two spacers and since I had a long spacer from the 280 leg I removed, I ordered a short spacer, but it still was too long, the rear of the prop stood off the zinc ring more than 1/4". After getting little response from the BOC, I cut down the short spacer from the forward side (zinc side) .220 and it now looks like it fits much better, with only about 1/8 gap. This gives fuller spline engagement and I feel better about the prop nut having more thread engagement.
This outboard leg was changed because of a gearing issue with the 4 cyl Isuzu. I think you were a part of the solution in the fall when I discovered the issue and could not "pitch" my way out of the underprop. I ordered a leg online, was told it was a 280 leg, it is marked with 1.89 and should help solve the problem. This new leg showed bearing race issues and with the shimming involved, I took it 200 miles to Great Falls to a Volvo shop and they replaced the bearings, filled it with lube, pressure checked it and called me to come get it with the caution that "you are going to have to do something about the spacer" It then quickly became winter here in Montana and I winterized and put it out of my mind. I am concerned that the shaft does not seem to fit either of your pictures, it does have a threaded hole in the end and everything except shaft length seems to be right, there is some slack in the splines, not bad, but there and when I tighten up the prop nut it snugs up well with no slack.
I copied the picture of the shaft with a ruler next to it. Is this shaft length something to worry about?
Robert
I originally posted this problem on the Bayliner forum and tonight I saw you had left a message, sorry to get back to you late. I read your post on BOC about there being only two spacers and since I had a long spacer from the 280 leg I removed, I ordered a short spacer, but it still was too long, the rear of the prop stood off the zinc ring more than 1/4". After getting little response from the BOC, I cut down the short spacer from the forward side (zinc side) .220 and it now looks like it fits much better, with only about 1/8 gap. This gives fuller spline engagement and I feel better about the prop nut having more thread engagement.
This outboard leg was changed because of a gearing issue with the 4 cyl Isuzu. I think you were a part of the solution in the fall when I discovered the issue and could not "pitch" my way out of the underprop. I ordered a leg online, was told it was a 280 leg, it is marked with 1.89 and should help solve the problem. This new leg showed bearing race issues and with the shimming involved, I took it 200 miles to Great Falls to a Volvo shop and they replaced the bearings, filled it with lube, pressure checked it and called me to come get it with the caution that "you are going to have to do something about the spacer" It then quickly became winter here in Montana and I winterized and put it out of my mind. I am concerned that the shaft does not seem to fit either of your pictures, it does have a threaded hole in the end and everything except shaft length seems to be right, there is some slack in the splines, not bad, but there and when I tighten up the prop nut it snugs up well with no slack.
I copied the picture of the shaft with a ruler next to it. Is this shaft length something to worry about?
Robert
















