Logo

270 oil pump replacement

TerryGerm

I have just received my long block replacement engine. A new oil pump came with it in a box so I need to remove the oil pickup from the old pump and install on the new pump. From the looks of the new pump the pickup line would more or less just press into the pump??? Does not seem like a solid connection to me. I sure would hate for it to drop out after the engine was together and running in the boat. Any comments appreciated, thanks, Terry

I will need to order a new pickup as it looks like I will not get the old one our without destructing it. But a weld seems the way to go with it. However I have another question about this project. When I removed the old oil pump from the block I do not recall seeing a gasket but it could have been stuck up in the mounting area. The pump that came in the box had no gasket with it and all the illustrated part lists I have seen show no gasket for the oil pump. Are these in place with a metal to metal flange mate? That doesn't seem right to me but maybe I am wrong.

Back