Logo

270 OD lift relay help please

discobayken

Regular Contributor
My lift wouldnt go up, only down. I traced it down to a bad relay. Took the relay to the parts store and they had an aftermarket one with the same pins/specs. plugged it in... the lift works no problems up and down. Only problem... the new relay is about 1/4 inch bigger and taller than the old Bosch relay and it wont fit in the housing. Nobody in town seems to have one that fits. I cant really tell from my online search if the ones I find will fit in the housing. Does anyone have the part number for one that will fit? Thank you!

I keep a spare on my boats.
I'll get the part number in the AM.
It is a aftermarket car relay.
Just cut off the plastic mounting tab and it fits in the housing perfectly.

Dennis: Thanks but the one I bought has no tab... its just a cube but its too big. I cant close the elecrtical control box... Thanks!

You need to buy this one, cut the tab off.
Use sharp knife or hacksaw blade to cut the plastic, the metal peice fall away leaving an exact fit relay.
There are several sizes on the market, most stores do not carry this small one.

boatrelay.jpg

Wholesale - A2C 775 Universal Automotive Relay
To see it installed, go here..http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt50/dennis461/Volvo 270 tilt control/

Last edited:
That is true.
The five pin relay is a five pin relay all day long (some vary in amp rating)...... but as you now see, not all are housed in the same size case.
Either do as Dennis suggests, or find the correct OEM replacement.

Dennis: That looks like it will work. I found it on amazon for $5.75 delivered so I ordered an extra as well. Thank you!

Ricardo: Every parts store had at least one or two options of the relay but all were too large to fit in the housing. This is good info. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
NOTE: If your unit is the later 270 style that looks like this one..... (whether 4, 3 or 2 wire motor)

$(KGrHqIOKigE5cJfFm1HBOkjGiM9O!~~60_1.JPG
f

.... be sure to NOT over-tighten the two small bolts that secure the plastic unit to the lift mechanism aluminum housing.
If too tight, it will affect the microswitch operation.
These need to be snugged only.

Ricardo: thats my exact set up and I'm glad you posted this because it brings me to my next question. When I got the boat the black plastic housing was rigged in place with about 5 zip ties. It works that way but its kind of mickey mouse. Obviously the previous owner had messed up the securing clamp... at this point there is nothing to bolt to under where the housing sits. I've looked at the exploded diagrams to try to find the parts... but I cant figure out which parts I need to make it right. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a whole new housing or assembly. Is there a fix for that? thanks!

There is a shoulder or ring around the aluminum upper housing (SEQ #4).
The top cover O-ring (SEQ # 28) also rests around and against this shoulder.
4981_1.png

The two small bolts (#29) protrude past this shoulder.
When the correct over-sized nuts (#30) are used, the nuts provide the hold-down clamping against this shoulder/ring.
There is no clamp, per 'se..... just the two nuts.

Guys, thanks for the help. I got the relay and fits like a glove and works perfectly. Also, I picked up two 3" small bolts and some oversize nuts and that worked perfectly. I was having a tough time visualizing how it works from the diagram. I was thinking that the O ring had something to do with holding the control box in place. After looking at the "shoulder" and how the nuts hold the box in place... I get it. Thank you again.

Back