Logo

260 mercruiser bogging bad and breaking up

RT56

im working on a 1987 m/c old school ign. prestolite points accel super coil 4 barrol q jet with thru hull with mufflers.im a outboard svc tech but have had good exp. with i/os this one is a hotrod cool boat old formula . here is my prob. she fires up sounds great giveher throttle and just when the secondarys just start to open she boggs and breaks up out the exhaust. not backfireing more like shaking been thru carb. compression 170-180 all chane good valve timeing good new tune up and coil oh and im not sure this motor is org. it has late model heads center blt valve covers. anyone got idea,

My Kinda boat! ;) Is the point dwell right? Also, is your mechanical advance working smoothly, & coming on fully in the dizzy?

thanks for your reply yup looked at both dwell 32 found the old metor in bottom om box. just put in distributor and all is good one thing is wierd the timeing light goes out at about 24 degres about were bogging starts

well found the prob. points spring was not put in just the conductor so points were flotting. mew motto k.i.s.s. thanks for the help great forum.

LOL! Seen that done before, so you're not the first. I helped out a friend at the marina a few yrs ago, did the same thing. Hard to diagnose from a distance. I hope all is well now! Good Luck, Mike

Back