Logo

25 hp Mercury 4 stroke engine not running right.

Lochinvar

As the title of this thread says I have a 2009 25 hp Mercury4 stroke outboard and it will run fine sometimes and other times it seems as ifthe throttle is not opened all the way and doesn't run very fast. Let me try to explain better if I can.

Sometimes, not all the time, my motor will seem as if it isonly running at half speed even though I have the throttle opened as far as itwill go. It is mounted on an aluminum 16'Polar Kraft john boat. When this problem happensit will only go approx. 11 or 12 mph and doesn't get off plane. When it does run fine I can usually cruisealong at 24 to 25 mph. and it gets off plane fairly easy. And this is on a clear day with no wind. Also has stock aluminum prop. And this might happen when I first get in the water or when the engine is warm. And only does it from take off, meaning if I am cruising along at 25 mph is doesn't lose power, hope that made since. I thought maybe the fuel system was cloggedso I changed the filter and cleaned out the lines and other parts (not amechanic so I can't name the parts). It just doesn't seem to have any horse power.

Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or mightknow what to do to fix it.

Thank you,
Chuck Hutchison
Houston, TX.

Back