Logo

25 hp johnson need help with running issue

I just purchased a used jon boat with a 25 Johnson electric start console steer. Model #J25ECCM
Problem I'm having is it runs rough when start cold and has no power. It only pushes a foot jon boat about 5 mph. Will run for bout a1/4 mile the rpm will jump up for a split second. It will do this a couple times then will start running great. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

originally top coil has spark bottom one doesn't. swapped trigger wires now bottom has spark but top doesn't. going to replace power pack. thanks for the help

I am going to say it is the power pak because I bet he swapped the power pak wires to the coils. Not the trigger wires to the power pak. 9 times out of 10 the power pak is the problem triggers tend not to kick in and out. But before you replace parts to go www.cdielectronics.com for the testing procedure for your ignition. We're not there so do the tests before you buy expensive parts.

Last edited:
You will need a harmonic balancer puller and thtee long 1/4 20 grade 8 bolts and some thick washers. Screw the bolts in five full threads and thencrank on the ram until you feel the bolts may break then lift up hard on the puller and smack the ram with a hammer.

??----The trigger is just one sensor coil and fires both coils through the powerpack !-----Why would it be suspect ??-----I agree try a new powerpack.

thanks everyone for the help. I replaced the power pack now I have spark from both coils. Seems to run much better at home with it in a trash can full of water. previous owner also had the wrong spark plugs in it got the correct plugs too. cant wait to get it on the water

Back