Logo

225's running in advice

Rtant

Hi, I've bought a pair on 225's one with 28 hours the other 55. Any advice on running in?
Chawk_man has suggested i keep the revs below 5000 until i get to 50hrs, and then i'll need around 200hrs for them to be run in.
I read somewhere that you should run these engines (after 50hrs) up to full revs to seat the valves - the boat is highly powered and running at full revs is not easy for long periods but i could put shorter props on.

Just wondered peoples views and how long do you think i should hold WOT?

My instinct has always been to keep away from WOT especially for more than a few seconds!

Thanks
Rtant

I have no experience but a) They're not new and b) they're car engines​ and you don't run car engines in now.
Seeing as you don't seem to be a drag racer you could use them as you normally would. A bit of WOT isn't going to harm then.... In fact I think it actually is good for them in short bursts.

I'm just repeating what my dealer (who runs an excellent shop) told me when I first got the engine - keep it under 5000 rpm for first 50 hours, then for the next 150 hours WOT whenever it's safe to to do so.

Cheers guys guess I was wondering if they had harder valves or something than your road car engine. And so required a bit harder running in.

Just remember that you can't treat an outboard engine like a typical car engine. The outboard engine is almost always pushing a significant weight uphill, in second gear, at higher rpm's. Your typical cruising speed in an auto is normally around 2000 to 2600 rpm's. Your minimum planing speed in a boat will be normally in the 3800 to 4400 rpm range. So you are putting a lot more stress on the outboard engine almost all of the time, over longer periods of time.

Back