Logo

20HP 4 STROKE HONDA CARBORATOR

ben_murphey

"I have a 20HP 4 Stroke Honda.

"I have a 20HP 4 Stroke Honda. Underneath the cover on the left hand side is a small rubber dust cover about one and a half inches tall. The rubber covers a small rod. This looks to be part of the Carborator because when I turn the throttle the small rod inside the rubber dust cover moves up and down. Problem is the rubber cover is torn and gas comes out therefore the motor runs but barely goes. Like its missing, sucking air, geting to much or two little fuel. Will replaceing the rubber dust cover fix this or is it something more like an O ring or carborator rebuild.
Also how difficult is it to do a carborator rebuild on it.
Alan"

"I don't know too much abo

"I don't know too much about these engines. I have one as well. I have not had this problem. If gas is coming out anywhere in the engine, this is a no no. Could be the gas dissolved the dust cover causing what appears to be a tear. A fouled plug would not cause a gas leak. Peerhaps a loose plug? I don't know how much gas you are talking about but potentially an explosive situation. Gasoline flash point is I believe about 400 degrees. I've seen gasoline flash off of a hot engine after which I spent 1/2 hour in the water waiting for a rescue pickup. The boat burned to the waterline."

Back