Logo

2021 Tohatsu 4HP/5 HP Questions

BRUPP79

Regular Contributor
Hello to all. I have been mostly hanging out over on the Johnson/Evinrude side of the forum. But now I am considering a new Tohatsu 4HP or 5HP short shaft. I would go 6hp, but the flat back canoe it would go on is a 5hp max rated, and the DNR up here can get picky sometimes. That being said, when I get a 6HP rated craft in the future, are these motors convertible to a 6HP? I have been digging around on here and have found that the previous years 4HP, 5HP & 6HP were all the same, just switch carbs, props and maybe a couple minor items and a 4HP becomes a 6HP. I have a tired older 6HP Johnson that is going to be replaced and a 9.9 Johnson that is on my 12ft puddle jumper. I will keep digging, but I appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

Yep, you would be able to swap out the 5hp carb for a 6hp carb. The Tohatsu 4/5/6 are all essentially the same motor with different carbs.

Yep, you would be able to swap out the 5hp carb for a 6hp carb. The Tohatsu 4/5/6 are all essentially the same motor with different carbs.

Cool, thanks. Wasn't sure with the 2021 models. On onlineoutboard the 2019 &2020 model 4,5 & 6hp were on the same filter selector. Now is 2.5 - 5hp and 6 - 9.9 hp... Cool beans.

Year of manufacture is irrelevant; all MFS 4/5/6 carbs interchange. Go with one for an A2 model for best idle.

Year of manufacture is irrelevant; all MFS 4/5/6 carbs interchange. Go with one for an A2 model for best idle.

Awesome, thanks for the info. As soon as I get the pennies saved I will be making the purchase. My old 6hp Johnson is getting tired. Thanks to all for your help!

Back