Logo

2018 Yamaha 115 water pump tell-tale

Chick

Regular Contributor
My new outboard has been out 4 times. Sat up from October until now. I hooked up the water hose to crank it at the house. It took a long time for the water to ever come out the tell-tale weep hole. When the water finally came out, it is very weak, and it has air mixed with it. Does any of this sound familiar to you? I would think it would have a stronger stream and no air mixed in it.

Thanks

Hi.

It depends on how well the muffs are able to seal up against the water inlet. After you start it, just rev it up a little bit (around 900-1000 rpms). If the stream is stiff/strong at that point, then I would say it's just the muffs not sealing properly. I've gone through many pairs of muffs for this very reason.

If the stream isn't strong when you fast-idle it, then I would have the impeller looked at.

Water off pressure system disolves more air than water in the lake.---All domestic water systems have air dissolved to some extent.------So test it in the lake and see how it behaves.

Agree with the muffs needing tight seal...you shud have to put a little muscle into sliding ears on. Yam 4 strokes are notorious for weak t/t stream. Assuming your alarm systems are in check, you're engine will let you know when there's a problem. So long as no high temp alarm, no worries.

Back