Logo

2016 4 stroke 150 - not reaching full RPM

Tomcam150

I have a brand new 150 4 stroke on a 24' Tritoon that is still being broken in. Was able to reach 6500 RPM and 32 MPH (short runs during the break in cycle) Last two trips it would not run over 5000 RPM and 25 MPH - Cant figure out why yet. No alarms are sounding - only the 3 second alarm when starting as I turn the key. Any suggestions?

Now i am starting to question my memory- 5500 vs. 6500 RPM - Either way my tp spedd dropped from 32 MPH to 25 MPH and idle has the motor rumbling and vibrating the whole boat.

sounds like one or multiple cylinders are not firing "dealer time". Your first post said 6000+ rpms 32mph and no alarm, no rev. limiter kicking in, something else to have checked out by dealer, unless redline is 6500rpm!

Last edited:
sounds like one or multiple cylinders are not firing "dealer time". Your first post said 6000+ rpms 32mph and no alarm, no rev. limiter kicking in, something else to have checked out by dealer, unless redline is 6500rpm!

SO apparently i have reversed the numbers in my head. The max RPM for this motor is around 5500- 5800. I did suffer from two runs that limited WOT to around 4000 but for no reason other than shutting off the motor and restarting resulted in max RPM around 5600 on the next runs.

Any Ideas how / Why this happens?

Also - I inspected the prop to see if I had fouled it with rope or ?? and found nothing. But the prop and shaft have a very small amount of play - just a millimeter or so. Is this normal? or should it be rock solid?

The play in shaft and prop is normal and has nothing to do with issue at hand. Down load codes, Is there a reason you won't go to dealer,to far away,don't trust them?

The play in shaft and prop is normal and has nothing to do with issue at hand. Down load codes, Is there a reason you won't go to dealer,to far away,don't trust them?

I am not too far away but I wanted to get ideas before I give it over to a shop. I ran it yesterday and had no issues at all so I'm still not sure what caused problem in the first place.

Back