Logo

2015 Mercury 20hp only shifts into gear if prop is in certain position

JeffreyPyg

New member

Hello,

The video above is the issue that I am having with my motor. I did not change, mess with, or even open anything in the lower unit. I did bring it to a repair shop because shifting was very stiff, but the guy just told me he had just cleaned and lubed the parts for shifting, that are in the engine compartment up top, and it did fix the problem that I was having at the time. Also, he only charged me for 30 mins of shop time, so I would imagine he did not mess with the lower unit either. Because the way I see it even if he did not tell me about messing with the Lower Unit, I would imagine he would have charged me more than 30mins of time. I would greatly appreciate any help that you could give me.
 

Hello,

The video above is the issue that I am having with my motor. I did not change, mess with, or even open anything in the lower unit. I did bring it to a repair shop because shifting was very stiff, but the guy just told me he had just cleaned and lubed the parts for shifting, that are in the engine compartment up top, and it did fix the problem that I was having at the time. Also, he only charged me for 30 mins of shop time, so I would imagine he did not mess with the lower unit either. Because the way I see it even if he did not tell me about messing with the Lower Unit, I would imagine he would have charged me more than 30mins of time. I would greatly appreciate any help that you could give me.

EDIT: also the motor does not even have 100hrs on it
 
The problem occurs both when running and when it's not. Also, I have not ever had to turn the prop for it to shift like this before. Unless there is a mechanism that, when you shift, it will turn the prop ever so slightly to avoid this issue, that is no longer functioning on my motor. Also, thanks for the reply
 
Have you ever looked at a reverse gear and clutch dog ??----It would explain to you why prop must be turning to properly engage reverse
 
Actually, after giving it some thought, testing, and a little research. I think I was just being dumb. It does have to be running to shift gears, and when it is running, I actually can't reproduce the issue, and looking back I believe I was wrong for saying that the problem occurs when running. Also, to be honest, I thought it was not going to into reverse, or it was stuck in reverse, because I could not start the motor, while it was in the state demonstrated in the video. However when the motor is off, and the state is the same as what I showed in the video, you can sort of "half shift" the motor, so that it's not really in neutral, and it's not really in reverse (the sound it made when trying to switch to reverse when off), which obviously will not let you start the motor. So, I believe the whole thing might actually be me just being stupid, because the whole thing started when I was upset for not catching any fish so when my motor would not start and I noticed the state demonstrated in from the video, I just assumed something was wrong, when it might actually not be. So, thanks for the help, and sorry for being dumb.
 
Back
Top