Logo

2007 Yamaha needs help

live2fish54

Hello,
I'm new to the forum.
I have a 2007 Yamaha 15 HP 4 stroke engine that is driving me nuts.
It will start right up, but then the frustration begins.
After idling for 2-3 mins if I put it in gear & give it gas it stalls & continues to do that until it warms up for 10 mins.
Once it warms up it runs great.
Before I say what 2 different wrenchs told me I'm asking for solid advice.
Thanks

Could be lots of things, but it's all just guessing until some tests are performed. Also keep in mind, some of this might not apply to your exact model.. this is just general guidance for Yamaha engines of the post 2006 generation.

If it starts no problem, then I would not look too deeply at your ignition system or the battery (though it still could come back to this).

If you get the YDS kit and the service manual (not the owner's manual), it will probably help here.

1. Spray some starter fluid or brake cleaner (the flammable kind) around the intake manifold while the engine is idling. If the idle speed jumps/changes, you have an air leak, which would cause the kind of behavior you described. The fix for that is typically just getting a new set of gaskets.

2. Check the throttle linkage. You really need the service manual for this, as it will tell you how to check this step-by-step.

3. Check the throttle position sensor and the idle speed control valve. One of these parts might be fried.

4. Check the mechanical fuel pump diaphragm for tears or holes.

5. Check the vapor separator needle valve to see if it's bent or gouged.

6. Check the resistance of each fuel injector (I assume it's fuel injected.. if not, clean/rebuild the carbs).

7. Check the ECM voltage to see if it's in spec.

The service manual will tell you how to check all this stuff and what the specs are.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Sounds like the carburetor is set too lean on the low speed mixture screw.-------These carburetors have tiny passage ways that can be difficult to find to clean them.-----And what do your " mechanics " tell you needs to be done ??

the 2 "mechanics" i spoke with said.

#1- the gray fuel lines could be bad from the ethanol.
#2- this guy owns a marina- yamahas are known for acting like that, nothing to worry about.

Many of those suggestions apply to a FUEL INJECTED motor.------Yours is not so ignore that.------Look at cleaning your carburetor.------Know not how ?-----Look at some u-tube videos to help understand , gain confidence !

If you find your carb to be the issue.

After many years of servicing smaller 4stroke outboards for a local Yacht club, when the carbs are an issue I replace them with new ones.

The best $425.00 you will spend.

The success rate for cleaning them is low because of the extremely small passages....Just like Racerone suggested.

Back