I have a 2007 Yamaha 15hp (F15CPLH) that needs some work and I'm trying to determine if it's worth saving. The motor ran smooth last season but upon bringing it into a local shop for winter service, they informed me that the lower unit was shot and compression was low on the motor so it wasn't worth servicing. They returned the motor with the lower unit (or most of the lower unit) in pieces. I found the compression comment surprising as the engine ran smooth the prior season. As for the shifting, it never felt brand new but it shifted fine.
Compression
I first tested the compression on each cylinder as a starting point. Unfortunately each cylinder came back reading 50psi (+/- 1). That said, upon further research, I've read that to get an accurate compression reading, the motor needs to be run for a while in order to get warm. (1) Any truth to this? Additionally, it is important to note that this motor has done a lot of idling and slower trolling so I'm suspicious about carbon buildup on the valves, preventing a proper seal. Again, the engine was very smooth when running last season. Lastly, I put a camera down each cylinder to see if there was anything noticeable and I did see some pitting on the cylinder walls (see pictures).
Lower Unit
Upon inspecting the lower unit parts returned to me, the majority of them are there and they seem to be in usable condition. I'm fine with reassembling the lower unit but I am unsure about what shim size needs to be used. I believe I have the shims for the drive shaft pinion but I am not seeing the shims for the propeller shaft. I've looked at the service manual but I do not see anything around shim specs, nor is anything printed on the lower unit casing (that I can see). (2) Anyone have any guidance here?
I am trying to determine - should i attempt to rebuild the lower unit, purchase a rebuilt one off of ebay for $650, or just part out what's left of it and move on to another motor?
Compression
I first tested the compression on each cylinder as a starting point. Unfortunately each cylinder came back reading 50psi (+/- 1). That said, upon further research, I've read that to get an accurate compression reading, the motor needs to be run for a while in order to get warm. (1) Any truth to this? Additionally, it is important to note that this motor has done a lot of idling and slower trolling so I'm suspicious about carbon buildup on the valves, preventing a proper seal. Again, the engine was very smooth when running last season. Lastly, I put a camera down each cylinder to see if there was anything noticeable and I did see some pitting on the cylinder walls (see pictures).
Lower Unit
Upon inspecting the lower unit parts returned to me, the majority of them are there and they seem to be in usable condition. I'm fine with reassembling the lower unit but I am unsure about what shim size needs to be used. I believe I have the shims for the drive shaft pinion but I am not seeing the shims for the propeller shaft. I've looked at the service manual but I do not see anything around shim specs, nor is anything printed on the lower unit casing (that I can see). (2) Anyone have any guidance here?
I am trying to determine - should i attempt to rebuild the lower unit, purchase a rebuilt one off of ebay for $650, or just part out what's left of it and move on to another motor?

