Logo

2007 Volvo Penta V8 5.0OSi-F intermittent failing issue

mysticpete

New member
Volvo Penta 5.0OSI-F issue.
Hi all, issue is that the Port engine fails intermittently, can run fine at the start of the outing, but seams to always fail at some point, whenever it does it fails to start again and we end up limping home on the one good engine, last time was on xmas eve trip to Tangalooma arrived and as soon as I throttled back the engine died, volts indicated that the battery was flat (this was a false reading though), managed to get it started some hours later, but as soon as we got out of the bay and opened up it started sputtering and not revving over 2300rpm. I have seen this previously, it's almost like its on limp home mode.
Could not start the engine again until last Saturday, as soon as I did it again would not rev over 2300 and the engine backfired, I've changed out the fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator and spark plugs.
Research into the history and I find that this all started after the boat was heavily serviced by EuroMarine on the Gold Coast, a number of emails were sent to them but there doesn't appear to be any follow up?
So I'm thinking its a timing issue, I really need to get a good Volvo mechanic with the correct diagnostic tools to have a look at this, can anyone recommend someone in the Brisbane area?
 
Might be corrosion, have the cables been cleaned, both ends?

Going to need a scanner to check if there are any codes

You have the HVS distributor and those caps are known to look great but be bad. Many keep a spare on hand just in case. This happened after it was serviced I would check the timing. Timing is not checked light it's visual
HVS Distributor Timing.jpg


Can check fuel pressure and it should be 50-60 psi
 
Might be corrosion, have the cables been cleaned, both ends?

Going to need a scanner to check if there are any codes

You have the HVS distributor and those caps are known to look great but be bad. Many keep a spare on hand just in case. This happened after it was serviced I would check the timing. Timing is not checked light it's visual
View attachment 36652

Can check fuel pressure and it should be 50-60 psi
Thanks Alldodge, will look into the dizzy cap for any defects, as it runs a bit rough and is backfiring at times I suspect timing myself, I don't have a timing light att, but do have the procedures to check it, the dizzy does not use vacuum for the advance, its electronic in this model, so could also be an issue there to look at for me.
 
getting a scanner, in the long run, may be very cost effective...I'd suggest the RINDA DIACOMM software and the appropriate adapter.

On your engine, the timing is controlled by the ECU. Moving the distributor changes what is called the Cam Retard parameter and you need a scanner to set it optimally.

Checking the fuel pressure, uinder load, would also be prudent...
 
On your engine, the timing is controlled by the ECU. Moving the distributor changes what is called the Cam Retard parameter and you need a scanner to set it optimally.

Never read where this is mentioned in Merc or VP manuals. Can you advise which manufactures manual this is stated?
 
The Delphi MEFI-5 manual is the cleanest one I've found...in the HVS ignition description section:

The ECM monitors input signals
from the following components as part of its ignition control
function to determine the required ignition timing:
• Crank Position (CKP) sensor.
• Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor.
• Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor.
• Knock Sensor (KS).


and

In order to properly control the ignition/combustion timing, the
Control Module needs to know the following things:
• The crankshaft position
• The engine speed (RPM)
• The engine load (manifold pressure or vacuum)
• The atmospheric (barometric) pressure
• The engine coolant temperature
• The camshaft position.
 
ok thanks, but it's not saying just how to adjust using the scanner

There is a Merc Bulletin 2011-11R2 which advises how to make a tool to get dizzy spot on, but it is done with motor OFF. Normally is only done if the regular way and motor still has issues.
 

Attachments

  • Bul 2003-06 gmefi-nostart HVS.pdf
    135.6 KB · Views: 40
I see the other issue you are getting at and dug into it a little but... lots of variables involved but the big thing is whether or not the ECU makes use of the cam position (CMP) sensor inside the HVS distributor...If the ECU uses the CMP, I think the 'cam retard' is critcal...if the ECU doesn't use the CMP, then the critical setting is the phasing between the rotor and the terminal when the spark occurs...

So if the ECU on a HVS-equipped SBC makes use of the CMP (inside the HVS) then I'm pretty sure you'll wanna use a scan tool to fine to the cam retard (cam angle) parameter.
 
getting a scanner, in the long run, may be very cost effective...I'd suggest the RINDA DIACOMM software and the appropriate adapter.

On your engine, the timing is controlled by the ECU. Moving the distributor changes what is called the Cam Retard parameter and you need a scanner to set it optimally.

Checking the fuel pressure, uinder load, would also be prudent...
Thanks for the advice, yes was looking at getting a scanner, will look up the ones you mention, will do a fuel pressure check also, anything to save money where the word BOAT is in the same sentence LOL
 
ok thanks, but it's not saying just how to adjust using the scanner

There is a Merc Bulletin 2011-11R2 which advises how to make a tool to get dizzy spot on, but it is done with motor OFF. Normally is only done if the regular way and motor still has issues.
I notice it mentions high humidity, we have Lots of that here in Queensland! But that Merc Bulletin is Very helpful! will be looking at this over the weekend on the engine as I am getting misfires.
 
Last edited:
The distributor cap on the HVS is a known problem, it cap can look great and still have problems. Many keep a spare on board because they can fail without warning
 
Hi all for those interested I discovered that there's a relay that controls the ignition and spark plug timing this relay is prone to shorting out and that's what was causing all the problems
 
Hi all for those interested I discovered that there's a relay that controls the ignition and spark plug timing this relay is prone to shorting out and that's what was causing all the problems
Thanks for updating us!
Glad you found the issue.
 
I see the other issue you are getting at and dug into it a little but... lots of variables involved but the big thing is whether or not the ECU makes use of the cam position (CMP) sensor inside the HVS distributor...If the ECU uses the CMP, I think the 'cam retard' is critcal...if the ECU doesn't use the CMP, then the critical setting is the phasing between the rotor and the terminal when the spark occurs...

So if the ECU on a HVS-equipped SBC makes use of the CMP (inside the HVS) then I'm pretty sure you'll wanna use a scan tool to fine to the cam retard (cam angle) parameter.
I'll add that using cam retard with a scanner is the most precise method to set the HVS. Because that is what the ECU uses.
That said, Volvo didn't do a good job of getting the correct spec in all the manuals. It's there for some models and not for others. Also it can change from year to year, so you want to be sure you have the correct spec.
The 9 volt tool you can make (per the merc SB) always works good enough for the HVS.
 
Back
Top