Logo

2006 Bravo 3 behind 350 mpi magnum

lscott

Last fall I changed the outdrive gear oil and used the merc HP gear oil ... stored the drive in the down position inside on concrete found gear oil leaked out over the winter... filled the bottle, de winterixed ran on muffs put is back in the garage for 2 weeks with the drive down no leaks were found

estimate 6 oz had leaked over the winter

No water was evident in the old oil....Drive had been serviced in july with a replacement cone clutch so it has been recently removed/resealed

Do I need to be concerned?

whats the opinion on drive showers? Do have some chalky on the upper drive not alot buts it always been there/

The only way to tell if you have a leak is to drain all gear oil out of drive and pressure check it to ~ 15 psi and that should hold for 2 minutes with less than 1-2 psi leak down.

It is possible you did not tighten the drain screw correctly and it simply leaked out.............slowly over the winter.........

Drive showers work well based on design
The bravo drives tend to get hotter than alpha's.

Most high performance boats with Bravo's come with drive showers from the dealer............most I have seen any way........

ok will monitor the bottle this season to see if I am using any after my refill

Thought about a mid season engine and gear oil change just to be sure I am having no water intrusion where the oil leaked out

any recomendations for a drive shower? After replacing the cone clutch I am trying to prevent more issues and having to buy a upper gear set

Google is your friend.........

As far as gear oil usage, remember that once the drive is filled the conventional way the bottle will empty by ~ 1/2 and fill the remaining space in the drive.

so the bottle will have to be refilled after that ocurrs.

Back