Logo

2006 50hp bigfoot doesnt run at higher rpms--

wcarmn

have a 50 HP merc. I've owned since new. For the first time ever, I am having problems when I run at higher rpms. It starts out fine, then the rpms start to drop. Always idles fine, even for extended periods of time. the problem is at higher rpms....say about 4000 rpms & up
Here is what I have done since the problem showed up:
New plugs, new filter,new portable
gas tank & hose. I have run the motor with the cover off. The gas filter is visible and it appears that it is not getting an adequate fuel supply. the gas in the filter seems to get quite low.

Yes, the vent on the tank is open and yes the fuel primer bulb in the hose is pumped up.

One other item, I did notice the new fuel filter appeared to have some small black chunks in it. The new gas, new gastank and new hose to the motor were not the source for these chunks. they must have come from the motor's internal gas line...

Does anyone have some suggestion of what to look at next? am I missing something obvious?

How common is it for the fuel pump to go out on these motors?
Thanks,
wcarmn

Fuel pumps can go out at anytime.As far as little black chunks in filter,the gas from tank gos through filter before it gets to engine!!Could be fuel pump..

Back