Logo

2006 350 mag intermittant miss all rpm

lscott

My new to me 2006 350 mag mpi (140 hrs)has a intermittant miss at all rpms, At first I though possible old or bad fuel so i put 50 gals of 100 % gasoline with a quicksilver FI cleaner, ran then out with no issues. filled it up again and just yesterday we started the boat and backed it out of the slip and took off the miss was evident again. Watched the digital tach and it would jump 2-3 hundred rpm at around 3000rpm. Stopped and at idle it would jump 1-150 rpm. Shut it down and raise hatch. looked around and checked the oil level all seemed fine. Restarted and it ran fine the remainder of the day. I am going to install a new fuel filter in the cool fuel module as soon as I can locate one. IF it returns I guess my next move would be new cap,rotor and plugs. any other ideas of how to diagonos this ???

I have purchased the plugs, dist cap and rotor button, as well as a new cool fuel filter element. Will install this weekend

The thing that has me confused is how can it run bad then simply shutting it down ans restarting it has no more issues. Wondering id possibly moisture inside the cap could be the issue??

update nothing happened....wrong plugs abd wrong dist cap thats the problem when the boat is 300 miles away. Took the serial number and pictures of the cap so hopefully I can get the right parts.

Did run the boat and can add more info cruising along just fine 3300 rpm decided to open up as we were a little late. Slowly added throttle and got to about 4200 when I could feel the boat surging and running bad. Backed it back down to where I had it and in a moment it cleared and ran for another 10 mins. We ran @ 3100 rpm all the way back and had no issues. So I think I have a bad cap and rotor. anyone else have anything like this before?

Back