Logo

2006 15 HP Mariner no water out of telltale

master11985

New member
I have purchased a 2006 15 HP Mariner 2 stroke. It has had its latest service at the marine mechanics . When I got it home I started it up an it won't pump water out of the telltale , only out of the exhaust . I've pulled the impeller an checked that , checked the thermostat. Tried putting wire up the telltale . I can only get the wire literally 8mm into the hole an it just stops . Any ideas . Don't really want to pull the engine down at this stage
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20241208_035113616.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20241208_035113616.MP~2.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 72
Water MUST be 6" above the impeller!!----These pumps are NOT self priming.
Ok thank you I will drop it in a big bucket so it's fully covered . Can you confirm the telltale is connected to the exhaust in anyway . As it seems to have a indent in the housing from the telltale hole towards the exhaust if that makes sense . I've also tried to blow air an also use a syringe back into the hole an it seems to go no where . I did pull the thermostat an pour water down the holes seems to have good flow towards exhaust . I'm so used to the telltale being connected to a hose inside the engine bay . This engine is all in the block ?
 
The tell tale isn’t directly connected to the exhaust, can you post up a picture of the back of the engine with the cowl removed, the thermostat housing should be at the back with a hose running down from there to the tell tale.
 
Defiantly no hose coming out of near the thermostat. Any outboard I've worked on always has a hose you can usually get to , to blow out etc on the telltale .
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20241209_185802081.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20241209_185802081.MP~2.jpg
    966.9 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20241209_185751196.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20241209_185751196.MP~2.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 56
Is it a saltwater engine ? Could well be salted up inside, I would either remove the exhaust cover and have a look to see what state the water passages are or you could turn the engine upsid ev down and put some salt remover down the tell tale (Wessex marine Proflush or Rydlyme) to see if that clears it.
 
That looks very much like a TOHATSU model.-----Water telltale is likely using internal passageway.-----Not easy to clean.
 
Back
Top