Logo

2005 Mercury 150 carb vs 2007 150 EFI

Hi Guys. I am also a South African and stayed 5 minutes from Rynfield until December last year. I bought a Viking 185 with a 2.5 Mariner 200 on it in October and ran it there a few times without any kind of trouble. I moved to Cape Town in December and spent weeks trying to sort out jetting and carb issues. Managed to get that sorted and took it out on the water two weeks ago. Ran like a stabbed rat, except for issuing me with an overheat buzzer every now and again. I got so frustrated and the new job doesn't allow time for me to work on it myself so I took it to a mechanic.

He confirmed Thermos and Poppit all in order, and impellor was also in good condition, but the gaskets in the water pump were the "wrong type" so I wasn't getting the required water pressure through the motor. I get it back this weekend and hopefully it's sorted

Make sure the guys check the gaskets on the water pump and that your alarm is the overheat and not low oil, which is the beep beep beep alarm.

A question for all of you. The telltale on my V6 runs so hot you could make coffee with the water does yours run that hot?

Hi Keith, I will check mine and let you know once i get the boat back from replacing the cdm. I have never actually felt the water from the tell tale, normally just check while running to make sure its pumping, so I am also curious now as to what the temperature of the water out the tell tale should be. Maybe a good way for some preventative maintenance. regards Greg

Yip, my telltale runs hot too. Check that you can hold your hands on the heads, normally they run cooler than the telltale. Not being able to hold your hand on a surface is I believe, in the region of 60degrees C or over.

Back