Logo

2005 Johnson 175hp Outboard general rebuild after many years of non-use questions

finnrigged

New member
New to the forum. I've fully rebuilt 2 and 4 stroke Yamaha and Kawasaki PWC motors from the ground up for about 15 years now but I'm new to boat motors. I have a single 2005 Johnson 175hp 2 stroke that has sat for at least 8 years that I just bought. Before I run gas through this thing...some things are obvious and some are not. Here is my list of "obvious"...please let me know if I should do ANYTHING else before running gas through this thing to give it a better chance of 1st time success on the deep Pacific ocean waters (daytime use till I hit the first 25 hours for sure!!!)


1. Rebuild and clean carbs
2. New plugs
3. New fuel line
4. purge and fully clean fuel tank
5. New fuel filter/s (not sure if there are more than 1 till I get my shop manual
6. Check compression with a fully charged battery
7. Fresh, non-ethanol fuel and marine sta-bil in every new gallon of gas that will ever hit the tank
8. New priming bulb
9. Test spark on muffs before trying boat on the water
10. New oil lines and purge/replace oil with OEM oil
11. New water/fuel separator

I don't know if there are any other items that y'all would take care of before the first run but I would appreciate any advice. Mahalo!
 
Pressure test gearcase.------Then put in new gear oil.------Replace filter in oil tank ?-------Test oil injection system before running with straight gasoline.
 
Ha.....oars? How about check starter out, make sure its fresh.....not overheated, "tall brushes". Some people don't know how to start a motor properly.....or know when it needs work or adjustment. Alternator output. Change trim/tilt fluid.....Just me, I'm used to running out in the middle of nowhere with my wife, and/or customers/friends. Just trying to keep what few friends I have......
 
Last edited:
Good list for sure along suggestions of water pump and gear case.

Please post your model# so we can be certain of all features of your outboard. Based on your description yours should be the very last year that BRP offered the carb'd model of the V6 engine.

My suggestions include:
Spark Plugs - ONLY use Champion QL78YC plugs. Many ignition systems are fine with substitutes but not the OIS2000 system.
https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=QL78YC

Fuel Bowls - The fuel bowls on these carbs are known to warp. You may want to consider replacing them when you rebuild the carbs.
https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=433000
Also, there is BB pressed in the side that blocks a port from the manufacturing process. Over time you'll get seepage around that BB. I'd suggest using some fuel/oil rated epoxy to cover the BB and avoid future issues.

There is a filter in the vapor separator tank inlet. I'm not sure you'll need to replace it, but definitely drain the assembly, clean, and inspect.
https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=433190 If you have spin-on fuel/water separating filters then yes, absolutely replace those.
 
Back
Top