Logo

2005 Evinrude 175 Vindicator

ajv00303

Regular Contributor
I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of subject engines, Model#: E175MFXSOS.
They have ~1500HRS, have been professionally maintained, Am trying to get the latest reports from the mechanic.
I understand they are the last year of the FICHT and have heard that MOST of the problems were taken care of by 2005 after BOMB. took over.
I believe these engines were on a CG (hence the Grey color) boat prior to the present owner and were probably maintained by the CG.

I am hesitant of these engines due to the FICHT reputation, the lack of support by the manufacturer and the price of parts; but have also heard positive things.
I can probably get the pair for <$5K w/ all rigging and props, this may be too good to pass up.

Any thoughts?

I do not believe TONY wants to hear that they are not a good ---" oppoortunity "----Intentional spelling there.

The 60° Ficht/Ram motors had fewer problems but still you have no support, why invest in a Edsel?. Find ya some Mercs or Yammys

The 60° Ficht/Ram motors had fewer problems but still you have no support, why invest in a Edsel?. Find ya some Mercs or Yammys

Understood........not sure why, but my gut is telling me to go for this.
Engines have been professionally maintained and are said to be in good running condition.
I think I can get a really good deal as I don't think anyone else is interested.......wonder why?
I have done alot of research, I know the FICTH has a bad reputation but I have read that by 2005 the problems were worked out and they are very good running/reliable engines if properly maintained and all updates made which is the case in this instance.
Mercs and Yammys are too $$$$ for even 20 yr old engines and I don't want carbs again.
I think I can get the twin engines, all rigging, gauges, controls and oil tanks and possibly delivery for under $5K.....not sure I can walk away.

Last edited:
It your $$$ but $5K is too much...they are at most worth $1500 ea. There are still some bugs in the 2005 motors but mainly electronic/injector areas. I myself would take the $5k that was going to buy the Fitchs, sell the existing Johnrudes for $4k take the $9k and get 2 Mercury Opti or Yammy Vmax

decided to go ahead with the purchase, can't pass it up.
hope I can count on some help if needed when I start the install. probably start a new thread.

Not sure if anyone is interested but, I'm hoping to start 1 of my subject engines for the 1st time next w/e.

To date I have done the following:

1) checked and verified the System Check Functions.
2) replaced the exhaust pressure sensor (which was completely clogged)
3) installed new oil/fuel lines
4) installed/adjusted the shift/throttle cables.
5) checked compression (w/a Harbor Freight Gauge): 80-90psi, cold, has not been run (not too concerned at the moment).

Plan on replacing fuel and oil filters on engine and removing/cleaning/re-gapping/indexing/replacing the spark plugs.
I am aware of the fuel/oil priming procedures.

I have the EV Diagnostic Software. Is there anything I can/should do w/ the Software prior to starting?
I have only connected the Software to insure it worked so far.
Any suggestions on what I should check prior to starting?

TIA....getting excited to start these FICHTS!

I have the OEM Manual and I have read the priming procedure.
Anything else I need to check before starting?
Is there a flushing adapter I can use to flush the cooling passages before starting?

Last edited:
If these have set quite a while I would throw a lil oil in the fuel to lube the pintle in injectors. The oil pumps adds some to fuel system but a lil extra wont hurt.

They were last run in September. Should I consider running off a separate tank with a fuel/seafoam mix for a decarb? I read about this method somewhere, don't remember what it was called.
As far as the flushing is concerned, I see by removing the "fitting" on the rear lower cover will allow a garden hose fitting to be connected. Willl flushing this way send water through the EMM? I've read bad things about the EMM's getting clogged.

Back