Logo

2005 - 350 MAG MPI HORIZON - Elbow gasket sealant or no?

Stelios

Member
Ive researched the hell out of this and have found no consensus.
Cloosed cooling - Dry Joint
Elbow gasket
If sealant is uses on the metal gaskets it seems people say use Permatex Aviation ($12) or the Mercruiser sealant ($50) its basically the same.

But many say latest info is to not use any sealant at all. Just the dry gasket.

Let's settle this please!

( When I took off the old gaskets they had sealant on them)
 
Use perfect seal or Aviation Sealer on water ports
Manual 37
Perfect Seal.jpg
 
It's your motor you get to decide, I just posted from manual 37
Yes but the manual was printed 2 yrs before my engine and gasket material is different etc.
Someone said there is a later service bulletin (99-10) saying no sealant. I cant find it

Ooops I found it. But it dosnt mention sealant
 

Attachments

  • mc9910r2.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 49
Bulletin is attached but looks like it's for old style. Look up the part numbers and they are for wet exhaust
 

Attachments

  • Bul 99_10 Exhaust Risers Gaskets.pdf
    24.6 KB · Views: 51
Being your engine is a 2005, your bulletin is for the older style manifolds and was created in 1999.... Your style gasket/manifold had started out as a cold manifold in 2001/02 era then went to a warm manifold around 03/late 04 I believe the years were ...Either way/type, it's still recommended to put down perfect seal (even on closed cooling systems) as still indicated in a MerCruiser manual dated 8/2009 all in the following manual sections that are available to be seen online,




 
Being your engine is a 2005, your bulletin is for the older style manifolds and was created in 1999.... Your style gasket/manifold had started out as a cold manifold in 2001/02 era then went to a warm manifold around 03/late 04 I believe the years were ...Either way/type, it's still recommended to put down perfect seal (even on closed cooling systems) as still indicated in a MerCruiser manual dated 8/2009 all in the following manual sections that are available to be seen online,
Thanks
 
On my 2002 5.0 MPI raw water cooled I used Permatex High Tack to keep the metal gaskets steady, torqued them down, got the engine hot and retorqued them. 200 hours later no issues.
 
Back
Top