Logo

2004 Johnson 150HP Reliability and issues anyone

startedinbermuda

Contributing Member
Considering a 2001 Mako 196 wi

Considering a 2001 Mako 196 with a 2004 150HP Johnson. Any issues anyone knows about in these motors? I saw it already and before I take a ride I thought I'd find out from a good semeritan out there. I've been leaning towards a 4 stroke motor but they cost so much more and I'm limited in how much I can spend. This one is a 2 stroke. I can probably get the boat and motor for about $7500. Appreciate comments from anyone
George

"U know how some rigs are good

"U know how some rigs are good to you and you don't have to do anything to them for years? I've had rigs like that but this one with the Honda 90 has just not been one of those. I just finished putting on the poppet, spring, and housing with the best I could do in holes. treads, etc. If there is not a tremendous amount of pressure going through there when the poppet is open, I should be OK. I used a good grade of silicone, one good original screw and thread (right), one with shallow hole I was able to drill in spite of the extractor I could never get out. I used a shallow heali coil on this one (center), and one that I drilled out and screwed a screw that kind of made it's own thread. It all seemed pretty secure and the silicone squeezed out just enough. SO I'll pray a little and let it cure a day or two. In the meantime I went to look at this great deal I mentioned in this new thread. I will be selling the 90 Honda and boat it's on if it runs OK and I will warn the buyer of what I did and to keep on eye on it, etc. and price it accordingly. I want to sell it because of the little luck I had with it. Maybe the next guy will have better luck. So now that you read this novel; you have any info about a 2004 150 HP 2 cycle Johnson? I've seen some blogs refer to them as bullet proof but who knows? That's why I'm asking you guys."

Anything made 2002 or later du

Anything made 2002 or later during the BRP era is going to be pretty much bulletproof. That engine is based on the Eagle V6. Originally designed for the high performance 150-175 hp market. It's a very good engine with really no characteristic problems to mention.

Back