River03053
New member
2004 Johnson 115-4 stroke NO oil light won't go out ---> Can it be linked to bad ignition switch?
I purchased a 2004 Johnson 115-4 stroke (J115PL4) with 504 hrs on it. I've put on 106 hours. While fishing, motor idling, the no oil light alarm and light went on. The oil level was fine and no engine noises, so I idled back home. When I turn the key on, the No Oil light flashes and alarm sounds. I've done the following:
1) Checked oil pressure - Fine.
2) Checked computer codes - No codes, all conditions are fine.
3) Replaced Pressure sensor - No change, No Oil light flashes and alarm sounds.
4) Because I put on over 100 hours, I'm thinking the engine is telling me to change the oil. With engine off, I tried to reset the NO Oil light at the ignition switch and still, the No Oil light flashes and alarm sounds. HOWEVER, I noticed with the engine running, I pulled the safety connector off the ignition switch and the engine stayed running. I've ordered another switch and waiting for it to arrive. I want the kill engine function to work! Is it possible the ignition switch is bad and the computer sees the engine as on and isn't allowing the no oil reset function to happen?
If replacing the switch doesn't fix the problem, I'm wondering if there's an issue with the multi-function tach?
I also noticed I couldn't reset the NO Oil light in the computer?
Feedback and ideas very much appreciated as I'm running out of options.
Thank you
I purchased a 2004 Johnson 115-4 stroke (J115PL4) with 504 hrs on it. I've put on 106 hours. While fishing, motor idling, the no oil light alarm and light went on. The oil level was fine and no engine noises, so I idled back home. When I turn the key on, the No Oil light flashes and alarm sounds. I've done the following:
1) Checked oil pressure - Fine.
2) Checked computer codes - No codes, all conditions are fine.
3) Replaced Pressure sensor - No change, No Oil light flashes and alarm sounds.
4) Because I put on over 100 hours, I'm thinking the engine is telling me to change the oil. With engine off, I tried to reset the NO Oil light at the ignition switch and still, the No Oil light flashes and alarm sounds. HOWEVER, I noticed with the engine running, I pulled the safety connector off the ignition switch and the engine stayed running. I've ordered another switch and waiting for it to arrive. I want the kill engine function to work! Is it possible the ignition switch is bad and the computer sees the engine as on and isn't allowing the no oil reset function to happen?
If replacing the switch doesn't fix the problem, I'm wondering if there's an issue with the multi-function tach?
I also noticed I couldn't reset the NO Oil light in the computer?
Feedback and ideas very much appreciated as I'm running out of options.
Thank you

