Logo

2003 150 txrb 2 stroke Fuel problem above 35mph possibly at low idle speed also

Capt.GEO

New member
Thank you in advance for any help it is greatly appreciated.
The engine runs fine all day long as long as you stay below 35 mph but if you take it to 40 or more it will run fine for a few seconds and then slow down as if you came off the throttle and then if you ease up off the throttle it will kick back in again or if you squeeze the primer ball you will get a short burst of the engine kicking in.
It is acting as if something is being sucked up against an intake area when under heavy load. It also seems to hesitate when plowing at 8-9 mph (like under load.)
What I have replaced so far is the pick up tube and check valve on the gas tank, the primer ball, the water fuel separator and bracket and all the fuel lines going from the tank to the filter on the side of the motor.
I was wondering if a bad fuel pump would do this or if a particle in the fuel pump could cause this and can they be taken apart and cleaned.
Also wondering if a particle in the carb bowls could cause this.
On a very rough day I took it up to 40-42 mph and it seemed like it was trying to do the same thing but I would hit a wave and it would keep it going but later that day when it was smooth I could not keep the 40 mph speed she would slow back down until I let off the throttle and go back up to around 33-35 and she would run fine.
Suggestions please
Thanks Again,
Capt. GEO
 
How's the fuel quality in your tank? You may have water in it, and the pick up tube is sucking some it up from the bottom of your tank. When you start wave hopping, you're sloshing the fuel around and less water is being drawn into the engine. Then when you flatten out again, all the water settles to the bottom of the tank and it starts acting up again. For safe measures, it's always best to take a good fuel sample of what's in your tank before you start tearing into the engine looking for fuel issues. You may very well need carb work though, or both. Ethanol sucks.
 
Thank you for the reply. When I emptied the water fuel separator there was very little water in it at all. I let it settle in a container for days to check it out. Any thoughts on particles in the bowls or fuel pumps and can they be cleaned out?
 
Check your fuel pump. YOur fuel pump is not pumping enough fuel into the carbs that's why when you pump in by hand you get a burst. get someone to continuously pumping by hand while you driving. If you can maintain your high speed then that's it. The pump diaphram is bad.
 
Back
Top