Logo

2002 Yamaha Starting Issues

dtacmed

Here goes turn key on guages respond but won't crank. To make a long story short if I turn the key on and jump the relay (starter Relay) it cranks and runs fine. Turn the key off it shuts the motor down. Since this started yesterday it will on occasion start fine but then goes back to the above problem. Is it a problem with this relay or maybe something else I need to check thanks.

Disconnect the brown wire at your relay and touch it to the 12v terminal. If you crank then your problem is likely the neutral safety switch. On some 90 there is a switch down by the shifter guide. Brown wires going to it too. Bypass it-there is another in the remote control. If it doesn't work yet you have to check the neutral switch in the remote control.

Unplugged the brown wire from relay touched positive post and it engaged the starter. Also jumped neutral switch here no change. Now relay or Neutral Switch at control. ?

Alot of possibilities but not the relay. First pull the ten pin connector apart at the motor and to be sure if it looks good inside. Next you get to go inside the control box if it is a side mount 703 and check the neutral switch. Bypass it and try the key. After that the key switch. Next the wire harness. I like to work in order of least $ to most $. Simple to more complicated.

Great Advice !! After checking switches, Relays, Jumping switches and almost ordering a relay the problem was found. After tracing all the wires the problem was the brown wire under the dash. Unplugged and back in and problem gone. Evidently a bad connection on the wire that runs from the switch and kicks the relay in to fire the starter. Learned don't overlook the little simple posibilities. I was going from big to little and it was the little that was the problem. Great Advice ! Start Simple.

Back