Logo

2002 150HP 2stroke climbs to high RPM then dies.

billytehbob

New member
Hello everyone, new here, just wanted to get a possible lead on a problem.

My girlfriend's dad is deployed, and they have a pretty nice fiberglass boat that, unsurprisingly, doesn't work. He said about a year ago, he was driving the boat on the lake, when suddenly his out board climbed to a high RPM and then just flat out died. After that, he couldn't get it to do anything, no sound, nothing. He thinks that it's either the starter that seized up, or the engine itself. From his story, it sounds like the engine pretty much seized up. I told him that I would thinker with it to try to figure it out, and maybe even fix it, but I don't know that much about outboards, and I haven't been able to mess with the motor itself.

If y'all need anymore info, I can try to get some from him when I talk to him over skype, but as of right now, that's all I know right thanks.

Thanks!
 
Alright, I have an update. Today I was able to work on it, I took the cover off, pulled the plugs to check the cylinders and pistons, they looked fine. I put them back in, put on some ear muffs and tried to turn her over, and there was an audible slap. I turned the key while looking at the starter, and sure enough the starter was barely turning the flywheel. I took the spark plugs back out, and the starter was turning a bit faster. The engine definitely isnt seized up, so I'm just wondering why the starter can barely turn the motor when it's compressed. Is it a bad starter? Or maybe something with the battery?
 
hi, like you said that the starter barely turns the flywheel, it could be low battery voltage, but make sure that spark is is happening. If the spark and fuel lines are OK then you have to open the cylinder head to check the condition of the cylinder. I think you will find the problem within this. some times when you turn the boat fuel line get bend if you not properly attached with the engine. so check these thinks.
 
Back
Top