Logo

2001 Mercury starved for fuel

mercurymadd

"I have a 2001 Pro Line with a

"I have a 2001 Pro Line with a Mercury 150 outboard. Several times last season the boat while under full throttle would suddenly bog out and then restart within 1 second. The problem got persistly worse and it would bog out at any speed. It got so bad the engine would only idle, when any power was given the engine would shut off. My 1st response was, lets change the spark plugs, fuel filter and check the compression. Everything was ok , yet the problem persisted. I was then told that it was the stator. That cost me $500 to replace and the problem persisted. We were then told to replace the blub since the check valve inside may be the cause of no fuel compression. Changed the bulb, no change. Then I was told it may be the fuel pump. Took the fuel pump off and saw amber crystals in the fuel pump. I was told that it was salt build up. Rebuilt the fuel pump and added fuel additive to the engine. No change. I was then told it may be a collapsed fuel line. Replaced all the fuel
lines. Still no change. I have replaced all lines from the tank to the engine (inluding the bulb), replaced all filters, changed stator and spark plugs, checked the carbs, played with the timing and idle adjusters, still no change. The engine will start and idle fine but when power is throttled up the engine shuts off. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!"

"What type of control box do y

"What type of control box do you have and what state is the wiring on the motor and boat?? Sound like an electrical broblem to me , like a bare wire that contacts when levers and timer base start to move.You need to hook up a timing light one cylinder at a time to observe the flashing.This will narrow it down between spark or fuel."

Back