Logo

2001 mercury 115 efi outboard makes single long beep on cold start

wahoooffshore

hi. ad the title states I have a mercury outboard 115 efi 4 stroke outboard. it's a 2001 model and is a yahama underneath the hood I have been told. the motor makes a loud and ling single beep when I start on cold mornings. it will go into safe mode it I don't kill the engine within a few seconds of the beep starting. some days it will do this 5 or more times before it works up a little or settles down and then performs flawlessly for the rest of the trip. I have spent over a thousand dollars on certified mercury repair and they can't re create the code to happen while it's in their possession. they run it and it won't happen while it's there. they end up saying nothing is wrong with the engine. I beleive it must be a in accurate sensor issue as once the embarrassment of the beep and start and beep and start routine at the docs the engine runs great and performs flawlessly and runs without fault for the rest if the trip out every time. I fished all season last year with this issue. it was also my first year of owning this boat. the engine only has 200 hours and is super clean. I have done lower end service and impeller as well as thermostat valve... I am at a complete loss in regards to how I can get to the bottom of the issue without spending a fortune at mercury repair places. I am a machinist and have no problem troubleshooting and doing work myself so I hope to fit it. fishing season is coming up fast and have the time to spend working on it now. any help would be very much appreciate. also when I brought the motor to the shop after the first time it happened they checked for a code and there was not any and they said because it's a yahama the computer system doesn't record the same. I know someone has a idea of how to start getting to the bottom of the issue, it's just not me
Thanks in advance.

Back