Logo

2001 Johnson 50HP 2-Stroke Running on 1 Cylinder

860_UA7

New member
Hello guys, looking for a little help here.

I have a 2001 Johnson 50hp 2-stroke outboard motor that appears to be running on 1 cylinder. Motor runs rough at idle, if at all. Usually have to put in high idle so it won't cut out, but I have not run it much since issue started.

To start, I ran the boat after it sat for 1 month and noticed it wasn't really wanting to idle or run at very low RPM in gear. Pulled the cowl off out on the water only to find a big mouse nest sitting on top of my top carburetor. Without a doubt it sucked some of that nest material into the carb and motor.

Got it home and took both carbs apart. Some debris in the top carb that I cleaned out. Bottom carb looked good. Also a piece of string stuck on a reed valve, I was able to very gently remove that also. Still runs like garbage.

Dropped in the lake today and pulled the both plug wires with it running (on trailer at boat launch). There was no difference in how it ran when the top wire was pulled, bottom wire caused the motor to die immediately. Top plug still has spark, tested it with the plug against the engine block.

Not sure where to go from here. Seemingly the top cylinder is not getting fuel or enough fuel for it to make power. Would be awfully coincidental that all of a sudden there is an issue with the ignition coil or something relating to that after the mouse nest got sucked in. But I did not test it any further than putting in new plugs and swapping the plug wire positions. Nothing changed.

Compression was 140 and 142. Would also like to add the motor ran flawlessly for the last 2 years. I went through the whole fuel system back then, everything is new. Carbs rebuilt, all fuel lines, choke solenoid, primer bulb, filters, VRO delete, fuel pump, link and sync... everything OEM. Issue is only after this mouse nest incident.

Also just to test. I did shoot a shot of starting fluid in the top carb and the idle increased. I assumed that meant fuel/air mixture could get by the reed valves and that the reed valves were working. But honestly I'm not sure if that logic is correct or not. Didn't want to run the motor any longer if the top cylinder wasn't getting lubrication. Also figured starting fluid wasn't great for a 2-stroke, but 1 little shot I'm sure isn't the end of the world. Will get a sprayer to shoot 2-stroke mix in tomorrow.

I pulled the top carb back off to double check every passage (will check that tomorrow), but other than that I am stumped. The top carb is getting fuel, I pumped the bulb with the hose disconnected.

I'm by no means a marine mechanic, but I do know a thing or two. Open to any suggestions from people more familiar with this stuff than me. Can only think it's something I missed in a small carb passage or somehow a reed valve was damaged or something big got into the motor? I do not know. Any help appreciated!
 
Just to update.

Fully disassembled both carbs today and checked everything. All good. Pulled the reed valves. While there was mouse nest debris around them and in the bottom end of the motor, nothing that I can see would cause it not to fire. Cleaned all of that.

Will swap reed valve positions (top to bottom, bottom to top) tomorrow. If that does nothing then my thought was to swap carb positions.

Also to turn the key with the fuel lines that hook to the carbs disconnected and make sure both get fuel when the motor is running. Maybe pull fuel pump and see if debris got in there? I know it runs off of crank pulse and is bolted straight to the block, so I'm guessing debris could get in it from the lower end of the motor. But I would think that would cut fuel, or restrict fuel at least, from both carbs, not just one.

And if nothing changes than I would have to think something with the ignition. Not sure how, very coincidental. Running out of ideas after I test stuff tomorrow.

Any input greatly appreciated.
 
Back
Top