Logo

2001 4.3 problems??

Seapro01

I have a 2001 Seapro with A 4.3 carb engine. I just notice when i take the boat on the water and put the boat in gear and go the rpms start to fluctuate like pulsating. it feels like when i give it alot of gas the engine dosent rev as high.
after it warms up the boat run like a champ. Any help pl??

Re: 01 4.3 problems??

I agree w/choke adjustment. Pour a can of SeaFoam in the fuel tank. When were the spark plugs last replaced? Flame arrestor clean?

I don't know if the word warm is right but it run like that for the first 30 min of running it. And the engine has about 100 hr is that when I need spark plugs.and yes it's dirty.

I have a 2001 Seapro with A 4.3 carb engine. I just notice when i take the boat on the water and put the boat in gear and go the rpms start to fluctuate like pulsating. it feels like when i give it alot of gas the engine dosent rev as high.
after it warms up the boat run like a champ. Any help pl??

sounds like surging ..most times this is a fuel delivery problem...water in fuel,filters...after the water at bottom of tank is consumed then it runs better ...

check for water in fuel fuel tank cap/vent for defects..replace filters cut open to see if blocked ..

if you can start this easy and idles good , the fuel filters or fuel supply may be restricted when higher volumes of fuel are required ..

Do what jcat suggests.

Clean the flame arrester w/a degreaser like 409 cleaner and hot water from the inside out. You can also use Brakekleen. Blow it dry or sun dry it.

I would pull the plugs and see how they are burning. You want a tan color on the plugs. If they have been in since 2001 then they MAY replacement if they are not platinum plugs. Let us know what you find.

Going to change fuel filter and clean and lube choke. Also clean the spark arester . I'll post results later

still having the same problems with the surging, this is after i cleaned the spark arrester, carb and changed the fuel water seperater also sprayed w40 inside the coke housing.
I went out saturday night and we fished in 4 didnt spots and it did it while i was drving to all 4 spots. These spots were far from each other so i know the engine was warmed up.
then when i went in it did for about .5 mile then it ran fine. this was in 10 hour time frame. I very lost on what to do next.
Any help????

try running the engine on an aux. tank of fuel, like a 6 gal. outboard motor type and see if it does it, also some 4.3's need the good stuff, 93 octane, at least the TKS's, or you get the surging then the dreaded dieseling. if it runs good you know its a fuel problem.

Back