Logo

2000 V4 Ocean Pro 115 Gearbox Oil capacity and grade

Pogmahon

New member
Hi all, I've ordered my service manual but in the mean time can someone point me in the right direction to find out service info particularly viscosity and capacity required to drain and refill the gearbox. Also as what has been drained out is clearly contaminated, what's the best way to perform a flush and clean prior to refilling with oil.

Model Number is J115VLSSS

Thanks in Advance Graeme
 
These gearcases use gears that are a bit smaller in diameter than previous models.----In my opinion they are not as robust.------Other opinions of course will vary.---------So see a dealer and get the best oil you can find.---------Usually take around 32 ounces
 
You'll need to do a pressure/ vac test to find out how it got contaminated. Then it will take about 1 and 3/4 qts of gear oil. I change my lube at the end of every season while winterizing, so I can tell if I have water intrusion before winter. I use good quicksilver or the Johnson premium gear lube.
 
Thank you both for the quick replies. As i have the water pump removed i will be replacing the oil seals in upper gearbox housing cover as a matter of good practice. Definitely didn't drain 1 3/4Q from gearbox so thats a bit of a concern also maybe a match head's worth of metal particles on the magnetic drain plug..... i will give it a flush with kero? and then refill with a lighter grade ,drain and refill with spec oil and forget about the metal particles. I will look into the pressure/vacuum test once I've done the upper seals and reassembled the leg on the assumption that if it fails, it will be the prop sharft seals .......

Cheers Graeme
 
That amount of metal particles is nothing but normal, Just fill from lower plug hole till oil comes out of top vent hole,place top screw back in,tighten screw,,then replace lower screw. Use new nylon gaskets on plugs,"screws"
 
Back
Top