Logo

2000 Johnson 90 h.p. Question

Moldman1952

Fellow Johnson Owners, Have had problems starting engine when cold. Today I removed cover and air silencer to expose the four carbs. In the front I noticed a part (don't know what it is called) with a red plastic lever with what looks like an air hose fitting in from with a cap on it. The red lever was in the down position and I move it to the up position, Cold engine from last year started like it was new, runs great. Should I keep this red lever in the up position? Any help is deeply appreciated.

That is the electric valve primer unit.----------It replaces the " choke flappers " of days gone by.-------There is no air going to it !-------The red lever is for manual operation of the valve.----The red lever should be in line with the valve body to run properly.-----When you push the key in WHILE CRANKING the valve opens and fuel is sprayed into the motor for virtually instant starting.-------The " air hose fitting " is a shreader valve and is used to winterize / fog the motor with storage oil.

????--------The red lever must be in line with the solenoid / valve body on order for motor to run properly !!--------The red lever opens the valve for manual operation.

I'd reckon once it's warmed up y'oughta point the lever back toward 'non-manual' operation. No need to have excess fuel runnin through the primer circuit?

???????------------The red lever is for manually priming the motor to start.--------Then it is put to the run position , which is parallel to the valve body.----Best to order a manual to understand how this works.---That would save you grief and $$$$$ too.

Back