Logo

2000 Honda 130HP takes 20 minutes to run at full throttle

BlueCrown

New member
I have a 2000 Honda 130 Four. It starts ok and then will sometimes stall. It also takes a 20 minutes for the engine to be able to hit full speed. While it is “warming up” it will go up and down in RPMs like it is trying to break through to full speed until it finally does and can maintain full speed.

Even after I run it full out for and hour it will sometimes run a little rough at idle but will not stall and is usually it is fine all the way around. When it is warmed up I never have issue bring it back up to full throttle.

What do you think the issue is?
 
The first thing to check, would be to check for codes.

Do you have a repair manual that shows you how to put it in test mode?

Also, you should check the thermostat (which will not throw a code). Make sure it is closing down all the way when the motor is cold, so the engine gets up to proper temperature. Sometimes, debris and corrosion causes them to stay open. Then the engine runs too cold.

A place to clean would be your throttle body and remove the iac and clean the little screen in the iac (mounted on the throttle body).

Have you ever changed your high pressure fuel filter as well as your low pressure fuel filter? If not, 10 years...it is overdue.

Drain your vst into a glass jar and see if there are any issues (debris, water, etc) in your fuel.

Those are a few initial things to check.

Mike
 
I will try a few of these next weekend. Thank you. BTW I ran it four days in row and it was much better. By the second day the issues were almost gone i would have a little rough idle or it died a time or two. Do you think it was a clog in fuel and it is working its way out? I have been running a fuel additive from Mercury in it.
 
Back
Top